Don't use your digger when you're angry because -

- you smash your Piggery door in.  Here's how.....

First, you dig trench for  a land drain next to your house because the original company forgot to put in that bit of land drain. 

Then you discover why they didn't do that bit of the land drain : it needs to be deep enough to pass under the foundation of a (non structural) wall connecting our house to the Piggery. 

Being a little more devious than I was at the beginning of the build, I wait til my son comes over on holiday. Fit lad..... From Canada. Backwoodsman, Tree Planter, muscles coming out of  his wee-wee.

'Ere, sunshine dig this trench for us would ya? 

Yeah, I'll tidy up the mess you make with the digger, dad.

Hmm, cheeky.

Trench dug....

"Where's this trench going  dad?"

Under the foundation which you've just hit.

OK, Snarl, hiss

20 minutes later, 

There y'are. 

That was quick

Just needs a bit of tinkering with......

He'd smashed his way through under the foundation with an iron bar and his bare hands - hit a pile (column of compacted stone) and  right enough was through the other side.

Know how to lay a land drain, then?

Yo, ahm 'ahn it man (oh the affectations of the Young: he left speaking normal Queens English)

From a distance I watched the fabric lining going in, the pebbles, the pipe. All was well.

You can back-fill it all now.  No sooner said than done.

Debbie casts an eye at the work done and casually asks -

"Why is a couple of inches of an iron bar poking out of the other side of the wall?"

The little sod had buried my iron bar in the trench under the foundation. And left just enough visible to remind me that it was there. Took an hour to dig out. 

He's back in Canada now. 

• Haha 3