Elevation, Elevation, Elevation

Reading the paper today I see that in some parts of coastal USA the latest mantra is elevation, elevation, elevation.

Do you ever worry about climate change and it’s effect on your building location, construction style etc.

I find a lot of these new regulations ridiculous 

we are at 89m asl, but required a full flood risk survey, our house is built according to the findings in the report which are 700mm above ground level which is 1.2m above our lake level. 

If that lake was to rise 1m I would think 75% of the south east of England would be under water. 

Bloody ridiculous. 

Not worried myself as we are 60 meters above sea level and our loch hasn't changed since the last ice age.

The self builders constructing the passive house in Portree moved to Skye because of the environmental concerns. There is a video that runs about forty minutes regarding their decision.

https://portreepassivhaus.uk/video-reports/

29 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

loch hasn't changed since the last ice age.

It is rising at about 6mm a year asl.

I am sinking at about the same rate.

It is not so much the mean sea level, more to do with storm surges.  We had one a few years back, it was quite interesting to watch it, the harbour visibly filled up (smashed boats too because of waves).

Edited by SteamyTea

7 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

No not our Loch

The UK mainland is tilting about 3mm/year because of the last ice age, which pushed Scotland downwards.

Then add in sea level rise because of ocean thermal expansion of about 3mm/year.

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

The UK mainland is tilting about 3mm/year because of the last ice age, which pushed Scotland downwards.

Then add in sea level rise because of ocean thermal expansion of about 3mm/year.

I see so the entire land mass is on the move because of tectonic plates?

At that rate not really an concern to us. But I can see how it would be an issue to other coastal plots.

8 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

I see so the entire land mass is on the move because of tectonic plates?

At that rate not really an concern to us. But I can see how it would be an issue to other coastal plots.

No, it's not tectonic movement as such, but the slow rebound from having the mass of ice removed from the end of the last ice age.  In effect, Scotland is "floating" up very slowly, relative to the South of England.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

No, it's not tectonic movement as such, but the slow rebound from having the mass of ice removed from the end of the last ice age.  In effect, Scotland is "floating" up very slowly, relative to the South of England.

The best case I know of is the sea "dock" of Harlech Castle, which since the 12C has grown room for a golf course on land that has appeared as a result of the spring-back.

Are there any others eg new Islands in Scotland?

F