How to clean textured floor tiles

First issue with the new bathroom.

The slighlty textured tiles are necessarily wonderfully grippy, to avoid eg slips, trips and broken hips. but they also grip dirt eg bits of remaining mud on shoes.

Does anyone have good suggestions for day-to-day light cleaning?

The best I have done so far is probably the pull stroke of a sponge-mop.

Cheers

Ferdinand

I have non slip porcelain outside.....its a nightmare to keep clean (its very pale colour).  Mops just stick, steam mop ditto, a bucket of soapy water and a deck scrubber and lots of elbow grease was how I did it then I found a machine to do it.  Got it from Lakeland its a Bissell  crosswave, designed for indoors really but does in and out really well.  Not cheap but it does the job for me I have a lot of sq m of tiling to clean!

7 hours ago, lizzie said:

I have non slip porcelain outside.....its a nightmare to keep clean (its very pale colour).  Mops just stick, steam mop ditto, a bucket of soapy water and a deck scrubber and lots of elbow grease was how I did it then I found a machine to do it.  Got it from Lakeland its a Bissell  crosswave, designed for indoors really but does in and out really well.  Not cheap but it does the job for me I have a lot of sq m of tiling to clean!

£250 ouch.

i think for that one I would try a jet washer with a nozzle on a pipe long enough that it reached all of it from one spot.

Or learn to love lichen, which may not work for you.

Ferdinand

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

£250 ouch.

i think for that one I would try a jet washer with a nozzle on a pipe long enough that it reached all of it from one spot.

Or learn to love lichen, which may not work for you.

Ferdinand

yes big ouch but I have about 400sqm of porcelain in and out so it pays its way.  Thankfully it doesn't stain or grow lichen it just holds the dirt.  I am not safe with a pressure washer I would have it everywhere lol

46 minutes ago, pudding said:

Bissell crosswave now £178 on amazon prime day. Just ordered one myself to see how it goes with my limestone & oak floor and dogs.

Thats a very good price. mine does a great job on porcelain tiles (have mud magnet dog)  not tried on any other surface

I'm hoping it can do well on our limestone which is very textured and a real pain in the ass to clean. Other half does a sponge mop every now and then, but its only when I get on my hands and knees and scrub it does it really get the dirt off properly. Hence it doesn't get done very often!

On 14/07/2019 at 18:18, Ferdinand said:

but they also grip dirt eg bits of remaining mud on shoes.

Shoes off at the front door.

While common in many other countries, still seen as unusual in UK.

We insisted on this once we moved in as outside was still mostly well worn type 1 so it would wreck the resin & wood floors & stairs.

Even though we now have resin bound gravel and paving outside, it's now the norm, so much less dirt is tracked into the house.

No-one has ever had an issue being asked to do it.

• Like 1

We have always, in all houses, had a shoes off at door policy.  Previous dog used to wait to have his paws wiped, Japanese style, this mud magnet is a whirling dervish when he returns from walks and no matter how much cleaning up done outside still mud seems to be deposited on the floor....usually skid marks where he is running so fast to get to his food bowl!