What sort of pipe is this?

Weebles

Been digging to find drainage from old bungalow so can connect into that rather than breaking another pipe into the manhole. Found this sewage pipe? What is it? Can we connect a modern plastic pipe 110 diameter to it?

cut through it with a reciprocating saw. Slightly flexible and smells like bitumen?

outer diameter 125mm

7C1F27D3-427E-4D14-B47D-68233153DD60.jpeg

B6B02497-89BC-4ED7-BFE2-B92CA67DB949.jpeg

That's an old pitch fibre pipe. 

They were used for a few years, then abandoned, as they tend to collapse with time and cause blockages.  They can be lined, using a pressurised internal sleeve system, to limit the amount of collapse and internal delamination, but this isn't really ideal.  Best to remove and replace it if you can, as sooner or later it will end up causing a problem, in all probability.

• Like 2

As @JSHarris said - pitch fibre. They delaminate and deform over time. 

Get them all out and replaced as they are a nightmare to get a decent connection on to, and invariably collapse as soon as you mess with them. That hasn’t been bedded properly either so it’s probably unstable now you’ve exposed it. 

Best to remove it and replace with normal plastic soil pipe.  Sooner or later the pitch fibre pipe will give trouble, as it had a service life of about 40 years, and I think we stopped using it around 50 years or so ago, so it will already be past the end of its useful life.

Probably best if you can insert the new plastic pipe well into the manhole, get rid of all the old pipe. You mentioned clay pipe in the manhole, I wonder where they are joined?. You will only find out by digging out the old pipe.?

Edited by joe90

So pull everything out at the manhole then? We are convinced about replacing the pipe, just not sure how to go about the manhole connection bit. Chip away at all the cement around the existing to get it out and then re-cement the plastic one in? Followed by the proper benching etc as the existing may get damaged I guess?

A relatively “simple” job just got a bit trickier ? 

Got a photo of the inside of the manhole ..?? I’d reckon there is a 150mm clay section in the bottom of it. 

The “proper” way isn’t going to work so I would do the following 

Get a clay to UPVC connector and cut it just after the UPVC sleeve. Slide this onto your UPVC (Easier with a short section - 7-800mm will do, preferably with a socket on) the “wrong way round” so the open wider clay end faces out of the manhole. 

Bevel the end of the UPVC to 45 degrees and slide the whole thing into the manhole so you have 150-200mm inside the manhole, but not past the next branch. Now force the rubber back inside the clay from the outside, making sure it goes in all the way round - long screwdriver is good for this ..!! 

Set  your levels so this short section has a 1:40 or less into the manhole and then fill round the pipe and the first 3-400mm with a semi dry concrete mix ( use Rapid Set or even post mix here)

Once this is set, bench the inside of the manhole - don’t use rapid on the inside, use a 3:1 sand cement mortar and make sure it’s all nice and smooth and tidy... 

• Thanks 1

Pipe at top of photo Is from caravan and only temporary. Pipe on right from above angle is the one we are talking about (white plastic bag handle sticking out of it to pull out the stuff we stuffed in to block it up).

55CB578D-FAA2-42B4-BB19-4E7593A46EDC.jpeg

E2A1BAC1-D55F-4EDC-BAC2-C070694695A3.jpeg

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Looks like that manhole has seen better days .!!! 

Just what I was thinking!

Has to be better to just replace it with a plastic one, I think.  I doubt it'd be any more work, either, as there's a fair bit needed just to repair that chamber from the look of it.

• Haha 1

We were going to replace the lid obviously but thanks for the brutal honesty. I knew it looked a bit tired but didn’t know how easy it would be to replace. A plastic one? Will check it out. 

2 minutes ago, Weebles said:

We were going to replace the lid obviously but thanks for the brutal honesty. I knew it looked a bit tired but didn’t know how easy it would be to replace. A plastic one? Will check it out. 

The plastic ones come as a complete kit, with lid, etc: https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/complete-inspection-chamber-sets-c-248/

52 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The plastic ones come as a complete kit, with lid, etc: https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/complete-inspection-chamber-sets-c-248/

I might be misunderstanding the regs here but this manhole connects to the sewer. We are the first house on it but I guess others connect to it further down. Looks like the min size for a manhole serving a sewer is 1200 diameter or 1200 x 675 ( note 7, table 12, H1Bldg regs). Can I have an inspection chamber (a bit smaller) where I connect to the sewer? If not, does a plastic manhole of the required dimension exist?

15 minutes ago, Weebles said:

I might be misunderstanding the regs here but this manhole connects to the sewer. We are the first house on it but I guess others connect to it further down. Looks like the min size for a manhole serving a sewer is 1200 diameter or 1200 x 675 ( note 7, table 12, H1Bldg regs). Can I have an inspection chamber (a bit smaller) where I connect to the sewer? If not, does a plastic manhole of the required dimension exist?

From the photo, it looks as if this is just an inspection chamber located within your own private foul drain run, not a public sewer manhole, so a 450 should be OK.  Note 7 to Table 2 refers to manholes that run down to a sewer, not inspection chambers (they are covered in Table 11).

• Thanks 1