Outside versus inside

Triassic

With the good weather I’m working hard on finishing the outside of the building, rendering, cladding, slates on the roof, gutters etc. This left me wondering how long does it take to complete the inside work, electrics, plumbing, plastering, flooring? I realise this is a bit  of a “ how long is a peice of string” question, but please share your experience.

Exactly the same dilemma.

Our outside has been weathering for two full years now and only leaks in two - well maybe three - places.  Every time I step back from the inside job in hand, I feel almost guilty about the  outside jobs I should have been doing .

I have no excuse for sleep 

9 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I feel almost guilty about the  outside jobs I should have been doing .

I’m making the most of the good weather to get the outside of the house finished, the last thing I want to be doing is working outside in the cold and wet.

My wife, reading this over my shoulder,  has just reminded me that I’m feeling guilty of leaving the inside untouched! You can’t win....

By the way, Sunday is my day off.

Edited by Triassic

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

@joe90 says he is 90% finished, so 90% left to go.

I am concentrating on getting the ground works done whilst it is dry because come the wet weather it will be impossible to drive the JCB around without it sinking or creating the Somme. I am creating a list of small snagging things to be able to do on wet days (and it’s very long!,!!!).

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I am creating a list of small snagging things to be able to do on wet days (and it’s very long!,!!!).

Well come the school summer holidays you will be able to start.

Then you have, apart from 6 good weeks in September and October, 8 months to do them.

When I moved into my house, the first week was really sunny, then it rained, every day, for 66 days.

59 minutes ago, Triassic said:

[...]

By the way, Sunday is my day off.

A few threads ago, when I reported moderate stress - and just a bit of depression. On the basis of the feedback,  I determined to have a regular day off. Family can only  help when they too have days off.

Bang goes my day off - and I suspect yours (and many of ours) too.

To come back to your main question: how long does it take to sort out the inside?

It depends principally, I think on the amount of  focused support you can recruit. Neither of us can do it all on our own.

37 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

A few threads ago, when I reported moderate stress - and just a bit of depression. On the basis of the feedback,  I determined to have a regular day off. Family can only  help when they too have days off.

Bang goes my day off - and I suspect yours (and many of ours) too.

To come back to your main question: how long does it take to sort out the inside?

It depends principally, I think on the amount of  focused support you can recruit. Neither of us can do it all on our own.

As a fair few here may remember, I went through a pretty mentally tough time when building our house (it's in this blog entry: http://www.mayfly.eu/2015/08/part-thirty-seven-a-long-tale-about-water-and-life/ ).  One thing I stuck to after this was having weekends off.  I pretty rigidly kept to that, even though it slowed the build down.  Damned glad I did, as I'd rather be criticised for being slow to finish than end up in the state I was back then.

PS:  I also used the "90%" joke, here: http://www.mayfly.eu/2014/04/part-twenty-eight-90-finished-so-only-around-90-left-to-do/

I'm finding that inside the need for accuracy and neatness of finish is amplified (...and i'm aiming at a rough industrial finish) but it's having to be reached while accommodating all the inaccuracies that crept in during the earlier core construction.  Things therefore get 'fiddly' and time consuming way beyond the armchair theory of how long they're going to take.

I've been working alone which is painfully slow and I think counterproductive to achieving that neatness and accuracy.....a second pair of hands would not make things happen twice as fast but more like 4 or 5 times as fast.

Continuing this way I reckon easily 5 months more for me (rather more if/when I run out of money for materials/fittings), but if I could open a magic wallet there wouldn't be more than 2 weeks for any individual trade...I could buy it done in a month.

So in answer to your question....you pay your money and take your choice.

My word of caution is that if you're looking to finish cheap on your own, set a cautious deadline and allow for regular time off as many have said.  However unpalatably distant that deadline then becomes, suck it up....it's better than working 6.5 days a week, 11+ hours a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Am I glad that's a joke ... it is a joke right? No, really - it's a joke innit?

It is, but at times it does not feel like it!!!. In our case we are in and warm, just the little annoying things to do (and half an acre of landscaping).

What I am finding is now we are in and comfortable, it is taking a lot to get motivated to get the inside finished.  Little things like not having architrave and skirting board just don't seem to matter and seem to be a lot of work and cost (it is all oak) for no real "benefit"

• Like 1

With our delay over the windows we have lost 12 months but are really seeing some improvement now. Kitchen is going in end of August and then finish the wood cladding and render garage and we are finished outside apart from the garden. I just keep spraying the Rosate and hope one day I can start on the garden!!

• Like 1