shower drain question.

TheMitchells

We are busy with Mum and Dad's new wetroom extension and the builders are getting the roof on so we planning the internal fit out.  The floor is concrete, insulation then a screed which the builder assures me will have the correct falls for me to tile.  No need for a former or shower tray.  and he is quite a perfectionist so I am sure it will be fine.  (He took down the rafters and re-fit them as one side was 1cm out from the other!)

anyway - we are looking to fit a square drain such as this one -

image.png.f46b6bc442162b71f0daeb98dee9d2db.png

the OH, who will be fittng it, was asking about the need for a U-bend?  There isnt going to be room for one.  Is that okay?  the concrete has been laid for the floor with a largish brown pipe in place for the waste and Fred, who did the foundations, said the drain fits into the insulation layer and the screed is laid around it.  does that all sound correct?

Here is the build a couple of weeks ago. the corner pipe nearest the camera is the shower drain location.

IMG_20190630_122258.thumb.jpg.eabf7f3d53a95d8ff5ace77629ec035f.jpg

The must be a water trap somewhere but you don't need a separate u-bend if there is a water trap in the waste outlet/drain itself. Typically these are formed from concentric tubes that can be removed from above through the square top for cleaning. So have a look inside the waste outlet.

If there really isn't one in the waste outlet I wouldn't add a u-bend. Better to find a waste outlet that does have a top access trap.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cherryfountain said:

Just put your drain trap on the floor and fill it with water and see if water stays in the bottom after the surplus has run out the waste connection.

I think also some have a waterless trap with a self-sealing membrane so that might not be 100% conclusive?

• Thanks 1

thanks Guys - I had a look at a freinds this morning and yes, it holds an amount of water in the drain with excess water going through the side and draining away.  so no need for a U bend and it will fit into the insulation layer and screed can go around it.  cheers,?