Anyone ever seen a retrofit UFH for suspended floor without lifting the floor?

daiking

Asking for a friend  :$

Not really, its for me. My wife is complaining her work room isn't hot enough.

Ergo, I'm going to have to get down into the crawl space and insulate under the floor but before I do that, I just want to check this isn't practicable as well.

Don't know how you'd do that with a traditional wet system as the pipe is quite inflexible and you need to have it between the spreader plates and floor deck. Was tricky enough doing it from above before laying the deck.

However there may be a system that you could slot between the joists but still likely to be tricky. 

5 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Don't know how you'd do that with a traditional wet system as the pipe is quite inflexible and you need to have it between the spreader plates and floor deck. Was tricky enough doing it from above before laying the deck.

However there may be a system that you could slot between the joists but still likely to be tricky. 

I don’t see how you could loop it through a notch out of the top of the joist but I could see it being looped under each joist and then pressed against the underside of the floorboards with spreader plates.

plus some creative insulation on these hanging loops.

although the rad pipes in the crawl space aren’t insulated yet either ?

Edited by daiking

12 minutes ago, daiking said:

I don’t see how you could loop it through a notch out of the top of the joist but I could see it being looped under each joist and then pressed against the underside of the floorboards with spreader plates.

plus some creative insulation on these hanging loops.

although the rad pipes in the crawl space aren’t insulated yet either ?

Maybe but UFH pipe is quite stiff and unwieldy, especially when coiled and is easily kinked and damaged so may be very tricky to do from underneath in limited space.

Thinking laterally - maybe an electrical system would be easier to retrofit?

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

There are systems available with a slim build up, this one is 25mm: https://www.ufh.co.uk/products/underfloor-heating-panels and this one can be as low as 15mm: https://www.warm-board.com/warm-board/

I don’t want to touch the floor. It has 9mm ply + 14mm eng wood flooring on it that I have no wish to lift, nor put another floor finish on top.

5 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Maybe but UFH pipe is quite stiff and unwieldy, especially when coiled and is easily kinked and damaged so may be very tricky to do from underneath in limited space.

Thinking laterally - maybe an electrical system would be easier to retrofit?

I can’t see an electrical system working with the build up, 40mm of wood?

9 minutes ago, daiking said:

I can’t see an electrical system working with the build up, 40mm of wood?

Would work same as a wet system - the emitter (wet pipe or hot wire) delivers heat into the floor substrate and it subsequently radiates that heat into the room.

Our suspended floor wet UFH is over 50mm thick - 22mm deck, 12mm ply, 9mm ply, 6mm rubber mat, 4mm resin. 

Whereas a wet system's power output is controlled via temp of water (assuming spacing of pipe is dictated by the spreader plate design), an electric system will be driven by the rating of the wire and how closely it's spaced together (which is up to you), so arguably you have more control in the design.

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:29, Bitpipe said:

Would work same as a wet system - the emitter (wet pipe or hot wire) delivers heat into the floor substrate and it subsequently radiates that heat into the room.

Our suspended floor wet UFH is over 50mm thick - 22mm deck, 12mm ply, 9mm ply, 6mm rubber mat, 4mm resin. 

Whereas a wet system's power output is controlled via temp of water (assuming spacing of pipe is dictated by the spreader plate design), an electric system will be driven by the rating of the wire and how closely it's spaced together (which is up to you), so arguably you have more control in the design.

Wet plumbing would just have been a neater solution into existing infrastructure and would probably work out cheaper from start to finish.

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:55, Rob99 said:

Rather than all that hassle, just buy her a portable heater (or a new coat ?)

It needs to be a very warm environment, its not just a feeling cold thing

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:10, scottishjohn said:

use nexgen panels on the ceiling .?????

that might be a good use for them in this instance

IR heating might work in this situation as it is to keep people warm

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 14:13, JSHarris said:

Or try one of the under-carpet supplementary heating systems, like this one: https://www.bewarmer.co.uk/rugbuddy-under-rug-heating/

Already using a heated under blanket on her table

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 06:56, Nickfromwales said:

@daiking

If you can squeeze your rear end down there.....

Link

....it can be done and there are products out there for it.

There's *enough* room.

Must be doable then although I think the other spreader plates could be used