Anybody got a cheap source of gabion baskets, got a bit of a project on this winter, will need a load of them. 

Cheers russ. 

8 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Anybody got a cheap source of gabion baskets, got a bit of a project on this winter, will need a load of them. 

Cheers russ. 

I’ve bought loads from Songmics 

Germany 

They take about five days to arrive 

• Thanks 1

How many do you need, what size? My friend supplies the trade but will only really accept large orders.

• Like 1

I have used : “fine mesh metals “ twice in the past. Decent stuff. When I priced up buying my own sheets of weld mesh it worked out more expensive than buying made Gabon’s from these guys. They do come flat packed and don’t bother with the 1m coil closers as they look naff.

• Like 1

I honestly think gabions are crazy expensive. Concrete Lego is a lot cheaper, quicker and stronger. Gabions look better though.

You can get great prices on blocks if you haggle because cement companies have loads sat on site. 

1 hour ago, K78 said:

I honestly think gabions are crazy expensive. 

Got to agree there...... for what that are one would think they would be cheaper...... boohoo said piggy ! 

4 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Got to agree there...... for what that are one would think they would be cheaper...... boohoo said piggy ! 

Empty cages were more expensive than the blocks I used.

Ivy will cover them eventually.

4CD3073C-4092-461B-9BBD-F73164790FA2.png

Love the simplicity of it and the structure, no good to me as no local suppliers and transport to my island would be very cost prohibitive, gabions are my only real choice as I have plenty of stone to fill them on site or close by and I can fit a lot of empty gabions in my 10x5 trailer. 

11 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Love the simplicity of it and the structure, no good to me as no local suppliers and transport to my island would be very cost prohibitive, gabions are my only real choice as I have plenty of stone to fill them on site or close by and I can fit a lot of empty gabions in my 10x5 trailer. 

and you don,t need a crane to drop gabions in place

14 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

and you don,t need a crane to drop gabions in place

I didn’t need a crane to build that wall. 

Farmer and a digger worked out fine. The blocks have lifting shackles cast in. 

Edited by K78

21 minutes ago, Cpd said:

The hardest part was pouring the incline foundation which reduced the width at the base of the wall. The weather was awful. 

Gabions sound like your best option being on a island. 

Giant Lego really saved my build. Funny that initially I didn’t bother getting a quote as I assumed they would be one of the more expensive options. 

I had a quote for a timber crib wall. Thinking it would be the cheapest. Came back at £65k.