Your Home Base Load / Background Power Draw

MrMagic

1 hour ago, Radian said:

While connected in parallel the terminal voltages are obviously identical so it's impossible for one battery to be over or undercharged. Current will just share out safely between them. However, I would make sure both batteries had the same terminal voltage before joining them as the above only applies when the voltages are exactly the same.

As I said the lower Ah battery can over discharge though. 

9 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

Isnt that the usual curve for the orange gas generation?

I only started taking notice this month and noted approx minimums around 3AM:

1/4 28GW

2/4 26GW

3/4 25GW

4/4 24GW

TBH it probably tracks overnight temperatures more than anything else.

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

As I said the lower Ah battery can over discharge though. 

No, so long as battery chemistries are identical (they absolutely have to be to do this!) the SOC is identically proportional to terminal voltage. If the smaller AH battery were to lose charge more it would drop the voltage at its terminals and this would cause current to flow in from the larger AH battery so restoring the balance. The charge shifts around but still equates to the sum of the two AH's overall.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Why does the chemistries have to be the same.  Is it because single cell voltages are different between chemistries?

Yes, even SLA batteries can vary a bit - especially from manufacturer to manufacturer. But you're getting into third-order effects with that.

What can go wrong is if some of the cells become sulphated and present a relatively high impedance. Charge will still circulate but I2R losses will take place inside the weaker cells and put an unnecessary drain on the better battery. That could be either the larger or smaller capacity battery or even two supposedly identical capacity batteries so paralleling definitely needs to be done with healthy batteries.

On 04/04/2022 at 16:48, Radian said:

but I2R losses will take place inside the weaker cells and put an unnecessary drain on the better battery

Sounds like a case for some intelligent electronics - surely you can organise a battery management system can deal with these, and other, effects.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Diodes, they can do everything.

I was always told by a famous - now rather late, professor who taught me a thing or two that one should never go into any electronic situation without a pocket full of diodes - 1N4001 is my usual tipple but then I am a bit AC/DCO.o.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TonyT said:

I think I was using IN4007 when my sae envelopes from cricklewood electronics arrived after a long wait, those were the days waiting to see if the postman had delivered when I came back from school…

They're still going strong. I just received a delivery from them. I've a half finished (no surprises there 😂) mini drum synth sitting here and a second one to build.