Mark Whayman

mwhayman

Could anybody help I have had an issue with the thresholds on the 3 external to my property for the last 3 years, the thresholds are to high for me to get over without help from my carers, my housing association say they are within building regulations. I asked what if there was a fire here when I am on my own I could burn to death because I can't get out and was told that's ok because we are covered by the building regulations I ask for that to be put in writing but they refused. Please find pictures of one of the doors but all 3 are the same.

Mark 

Welcome Mark.

The building regulations that apply to doors and thresholds are detailed in Approved Document Part M : https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/540330/BR_PDF_AD_M1_2015_with_2016_amendments_V3.pdf

These regulations don't apply retrospectively, unfortunately, but nevertheless they do form a reasonable guide as to what should be provided.  The key elements that refer to doorways are that the clear opening width must be at least 775mm and that the threshold should not have a step greater than 15mm high.  If your home is classified as being a wheelchair user dwelling then the additional requirements in Section 3 of Part M apply.

Hope this helps.

If you are renting from a housing association and have clear needs, then I would be arguing with your HA that your thresholds need altering, or they need to re house you in a more suitable house for your specific needs.

Hi Mark.

I believe the local authority has a legal duty to fund certain adaptations of your house if it costs less than £1000.

’Building Regs’ sounds like a bit of a red herring, though that could be the convenient standard your HA has adopted as policy.

This rather comprehensive info sheet from Age UK covers it I think. You will need one or several pots of tea to read it ... 28 pages. Then talk to them, and you may get a visit from an Occupational Therapist. I might anticipate attempted buck-passing between the LA and the HA. Though it is Age UK, disability is covered too, which should ... by the sound of it ... apply in some way to you.

The key is to pay attention to what categories of need they have to meet, and place yourself in those categories. They like to do things like keep you out of services requiring more extensive and expensive support.

I suggest checking in whether it is means tested. Though we did not qualify due to savings etc, they were still happy to come out and advise us before I installed an Accessible Bathroom for an elderly relative. .Ramps are specifically mentioned in I think 3.2 .

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs42_disability_equipment_and_home_adaptations_fcs.pdf

You can also talk to the Disabled Living Foundation, and other orgs. 

Age UK may also have a directory of local tradesmen and installers who MAY be pre-approved in some way. Ask.

HTH

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1