Self-build projects in Scotland - Research Survey

nicolaw90

Hi Everyone,

I am writing a dissertation on the barriers to environmental sustainability in self-build housing in Scotland and looking for participants to help by completing a short survey. 

If you have carried out a self-build project within the last five years in Scotland and would be interested in helping out, it would be very much appreciated! 

There is a link to the survey below, it should only take a few minutes to complete. 

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=DQSIkWdsW0yxEjajBLZtrQAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAArkAQVUMTZXNENZTEdQUEFGWUREMlRaRFFPMVhZNC4u

Thank you!

Nicola

I like many are trying to find plot and funding  and  get PP --

what ever you get from this survey  will not  be tackling the main problem to house building in scotland which is the planning  

they work on the premise that they will always say NO to anything and you have to prove its a good idea 

If and when they turn that around , and they or neighbours, need to show  a valid  reason why you should not build  in a certain location ,then you will see self and professional building take off which will help the economy in most of rural scotland dramatically 

in the countryside  you have farming and forestry -

everything else is a service industry to them in some shape or form

an a active increase in building would stimulate the economy of so many small rural communities 

which in turn would help with the taxtion funds to provide more services for the whole community 

as it is if its not in central belt neither edinburgh or west minster will spend money onsrvices--so lets make these ares more economicaly viable --that means more houses and business

Edited by scottishjohn

4 hours ago, nicolaw90 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am writing a dissertation on the barriers to environmental sustainability in self-build housing in Scotland and looking for participants to help by completing a short survey. 

If you have carried out a self-build project within the last five years in Scotland and would be interested in helping out, it would be very much appreciated! 

There is a link to the survey below, it should only take a few minutes to complete. 

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=DQSIkWdsW0yxEjajBLZtrQAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAArkAQVUMTZXNENZTEdQUEFGWUREMlRaRFFPMVhZNC4u

Thank you!

Nicola

It might be better to amend the question to carried out a self build or commenced a self build. Quite a few users may be on the forum as they are currently self building. You may get more responses if you reconsider the question.

I.e. I'm self building on Skye currently at first fix.

having looked at the survey 

lots of questions -but its only really about being eco friendly -

I question wold give same answer the survey is looking for 

are you a tree hugger ?

and the answer everyone will give is --

yes if it cost me less to build the house and run it 

so YES to  government grants will accomplish all that the survey is trying to get an answer to

maybe sottish government should give a grant to farmers to sell the wool for insulation , thats as sustainable as you can get  and process it in scotland --more jobs in sustainable industry 

the price they get per fleece 0.50p is less than it cost them to get it shawn  from sheep  ,or so i,m told by sheep farmers

without the grants  it will be build and running costs that are the driving factor in builders choices  

that is my view anyway 

Edited by scottishjohn

2 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

It might be better to amend the question to carried out a self build or commenced a self build. Quite a few users may be on the forum as they are currently self building. You may get more responses if you reconsider the question.

I.e. I'm self building on Skye currently at first fix.

Thank you that's helpful advice, I will amend the first question to open it up to those currently in the process of building,

5 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

I like many are trying to find plot and funding  and  get PP --

what ever you get from this survey  will not  be tackling the main problem to house building in scotland which is the planning  

they work on the premise that they will always say NO to anything and you have to prove its a good idea 

If and when they turn that around , and they or neighbours, need to show  a valid  reason why you should not build  in a certain location ,then you will see self and professional building take off which will help the economy in most of rural scotland dramatically 

in the countryside  you have farming and forestry -

everything else is a service industry to them in some shape or form

an a active increase in building would stimulate the economy of so many small rural communities 

which in turn would help with the taxtion funds to provide more services for the whole community 

as it is if its not in central belt neither edinburgh or west minster will spend money onsrvices--so lets make these ares more economicaly viable --that means more houses and business

Thanks for your response, the planning system in Scotland is certainly flawed, I've been through it myself and I completely agree with you, the whole process was a nightmare. However the research I'm doing can't cover everything unfortunately and I'm not aiming to tackle all issues with house building in Scotland, only barriers to environmental sustainability which is therefor the focus of the survey.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nicolaw90 said:

Thanks for your response, the planning system in Scotland is certainly flawed, I've been through it myself and I completely agree with you, the whole process was a nightmare. However the research I'm doing can't cover everything unfortunately and I'm not aiming to tackle all issues with house building in Scotland, only barriers to environmental sustainability which is therefor the focus of the survey.

I really don't see planning as imposing "barriers" to sustainability. Generally planning is only interested in where it is, and what it looks like.

Tthe only exception being in Scotland you need planning to retro fit an ASHP to an existing house that may put people off doing that.

7 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

having looked at the survey 

lots of questions -but its only really about being eco friendly -

I question wold give same answer the survey is looking for 

are you a tree hugger ?

and the answer everyone will give is --

yes if it cost me less to build the house and run it 

so YES to  government grants will accomplish all that the survey is trying to get an answer to

maybe sottish government should give a grant to farmers to sell the wool for insulation , thats as sustainable as you can get  and process it in scotland --more jobs in sustainable industry 

the price they get per fleece 0.50p is less than it cost them to get it shawn  from sheep  ,or so i,m told by sheep farmers

without the grants  it will be build and running costs that are the driving factor in builders choices  

that is my view anyway 

We have 40 breeding ewes and the payment for wool is minimal. As you mention it much more to get a shearer in then what you get for the wool.

• Like 1

I didn't complete the survey myself as the house I built was intended as a holiday let rather than as a primary residence.

FWIW, we had no problems with planning, it was relatively painless with no particular requirements imposed, and no objections from neighbours.

On 11/07/2019 at 08:35, nicolaw90 said:

environmental sustainability

I am in Englandshire, so will not be participating, but I think you may have an issue with not having given a definition of "environmental sustainability" as used in your research project. It is largely a matter of opinion.

I can think of dozens of different meanings - it is a chameleon word like "ethical" in investment, which I think of mainly as a flag of people who think they are morally superior.

For a specific example, there was a lot of shouting when subsidies on solar panels were cut off at the knees back in 2011-2013-ish. Some green campaigners demanded continued subsidies at that level, whereas others took the view that reducing the level of subsidy would enable more solar panels to be adequately subsidised for the same money. That is different concepts of utility in those circumstances.

If you have a definition, it may help to post it on your survey page.

Best of luck.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

On 11/07/2019 at 20:48, ProDave said:

The only exception being in Scotland you need planning to retro fit an ASHP to an existing house that may put people off doing that.

ASHP is permitted development class 6H in scotland as long as it meets certain criteria, the most important being the MCS sound calculations https://www.gov.scot/publications/guidance-householder-permitted-development-rights-9781780456836/pages/8/

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

If you have carried out or started a self-build project within the last five years in Scotland and would be interested in helping out, it would be very much appreciated! 

Thank you!

Nicola

Mods - topic merged

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, nicolaw90 said:

Hi Everyone,

If you have carried out or started a self-build project within the last five years in Scotland and would be interested in helping out, it would be very much appreciated! 

Thank you!

Nicola

You have already posted this, by all means bump your original post but as a non-contributing member it will be frowned upon if you effectively spam a private site such as ours, so please don't spam our site with this again, it will lead to animosity amongst forum members. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, iSelfBuild said:

I have filled this in for you and happy to be interviewed. I know the struggle of getting candidates for university research so more than happy to help :) 

That's brilliant thank you, really appreciate the support and I'll be in touch soon! :)