No pressure

ive yet to have a good experience with an architect or structural engineer and it seems to be happening again it must be me  

however i read the responses from some members on a couple of different sites  and their knowledge and comprehension is amazing im struggling again with my choice of architect i even vetted four of them this time  next time im not having one ill do it all from these sites thanks to you all

A3 Bailie 006c Steels.pdf

7 hours ago, idunknow said:

ive yet to have a good exsperience with an architect or structural engineer and it seems to be haping again it must be me  

however i read the responces from some members on a couple of different sites  and their knowledge and comprehension is amazing im strugling again with my choice of architect i even vetted four of them this time  next time im not having one ill do it all from these sites thanks to you all

A3 Bailie 006c Steels.pdf 301.81 kB · 15 downloads

Know the feeling !

For the structural steel I insisted the company come out and measure . Most weren’t interested in the trip even if relatively local . So I offered one £100 for a site visit . They came out , measured and supplied the steel . Best £100 i’ve spent...

Especially if your build doesn’t match the drawings to the mm ... 

yes i am feeling that way too i have spent a lot of time measuring up how ever there is in my opinion now an issue with what steel is going to or even possible to fit above doors because all beams are connected would mean they all are about 2100 above finished floor level i think that's to low 

its only at this stage i noticed incorrect details for position of plate and a size stated at 8mm when its 12mm  these professionals have let us down you put a lot of faith in people and set yourself up for a lot of disappointment 

thanks for your time pocster i am worried that i will have to start again with new so called professionals because i don't think it will get past BC to fit another steel under RHS beam No 4

cheers

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, idunknow said:

yes i am feeling that way too i have spent a lot of time measuring up how ever there is in my opinion now an issue with what steel is going to or even possible to fit above doors because all beams are connected would mean they all are about 2100 above finished floor level i think that's to low 

its only at this stage i noticed incorrect details for position of plate and a size stated at 8mm when its 12mm  these professionals have let us down you put a lot of faith in people and set yourself up for a lot of disappointment 

thanks for your time pocster i am worried that i will have to start again with new so called professionals because i don't think it will get past BC to fit another steel under RHS beam No 4

cheers

I do genuinely feel your pain .

I got ripped off i.e poor job on my critical flat roof .Had to get it re done . Hang on in there - it is worth it !

Same thing happened to us when we built our garage many years ago, the steels were incorrectly measured, I realised the moment I saw them (and I can count to 4 when only 3 turned up....). 

Someone I know who did a self built recommended getting the steels cut on site because measuring with accuracy is so difficult, which saved him an awful lot of money and headache and I think I would do this in future.

There are a lot of unforeseen circumstances with building, right right from the first pencil chewing and one bit of legislation seems to fight another, so there are no straight answers in how the solutions are managed. BC are used to working with builders and architects to solve problems, so you will find a way through. 

Edited by Jilly
  • Like 1

At least I now know my SE isn't the only crap one out there lol

I've been dealing with his mistakes for the last 5 months and always does my head in when he sends revised plans which still have such obvious mistakes. I would honestly say it's been the worst part of my self build

• Sad 1

o dear they have us by the never nevers thanks for your replys if we didnt have to adhere to BC then i would apply common scene and get it built its obvious now that there opinion is just that ive seen guys on here do the calculations my SE  just said put a beam on top of abeam to get my heights even i know there's implications to that gonna crack on BC have passed his dribble so im gonna say i did what it said on your tin

6 minutes ago, K78 said:

I’ve binned 2 SE designs for a retaining wall. Ridiculously over spec’d. 

SE’s over spec by about 350% !!! . Mine told me this - then I got him to drop the spec ( probably still 200% of what’s needed )

19 minutes ago, pocster said:

SE’s over spec by about 350% !!! . Mine told me this - then I got him to drop the spec ( probably still 200% of what’s needed )

Never again. 

Apparently the cheaper their insurance the higher they have to spec. Really needs tighter regulation. 

For retaining walls, all SE's in the UK are supposed to just follow Eurocode 7.  It's not hard to use; I did a couple of designs myself using it, before I realised that I had to use an SE in order to get the thing signed off, or use one of the prefabricated block systems and get the sign off via their design services.  The snag I found with the block systems was the cost and the room most of them took up.  For us they were all more expensive and a lot thicker than the reinforced 215mm hollow block wall we ended up using, plus the block wall was a lot thinner, so gave us more useful room at the back of the house.  Our SE was very good, and only charged us £300 + VAT for a full drawings package, specs, steel cutting list etc. 

A thinner solution at my height was really expensive. I would have still needed a wide foundation too. 

My wall was cheaper than than SE design for prefab, bolt down panels and kingpost. As it is a incline gravity retaining wall, the design was really simple. 

Ill try and dig out the idiotic design that I had done when I first bought the plot. It was a poured concrete retaining wall and house foundation in one piece. He spec’d £22k of rebar. 

The foundation for ours is wide, 2m at it's widest, but it misses the rear of the house foundation by about 400mm, and we still have around 1.6m of space around the back of the house.  Had we gone for a battered back block wall (Stepoc or similar) then it was going to end up a lot wider at the base, and make it really difficult to get enough space for access around the back of the house.  Our 215 hollow block wall is vertical, and "only" 430mm deep at the base, and 215mm of that is under our neighbours garden.  The top of our wall, where it forms the boundary with our neighbour, is only 215mm wide.  As the side of it facing the neighbour's garden is the boundary line, we've only lost the 215mm thickness of the hollow blocks, plus 15mm or so of render, between the boundary and the house.

yeh my actual issue were to start SE has now said to sit a 203 UC 86 on top of 250x150x16 RHS which is supported by posts 100x100x10 SHS however he has no opinions on how to fix these together

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, idunknow said:

yeh my actual issue were to start SE has now said to sit a 203 UC 86 on top of 250x150x16 RHS which is supported by posts 100x100x10 SHS however he has no opinions on how to fix these together

The SE has no opinion on how to fix these !!! . I’d be going ape with him - it’s his job to detail that !!!

40 minutes ago, idunknow said:

They will need plating, and a bolt schedule producing for the column to beam and beam to beam join. Sitting a 203 on top of a 250 clearly creates a point load, has that been factored into the design...?

Out of interest, how much are you paying for this SEng service and where in the UK are you...?

• Like 1

i am working on bond for bricks how ever there is a drop of 17mm from highest point to lowest in foundation my fault i would like to know how deep can the first bed be  should i build up with slate selco only has chinese slate would this do or should it be natural

thanks for your time