HELP.. OUR VELFAC APPROVED WINDOW INSTALLER HAS GONE BUMP

laurenco

Our VELFAC windows are being delivered next Wednesday and our VELFAC approved installer, E R Aluform, has just advised they're ceasing trading as of today. We paid them a 50% deposit. Please no abuse on why we agreed to pay them a 50% deposit for the installation; I'm feeling rather fragile and would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice on what to do— whether we can recoup the money? and / or who can fit VELFAC windows at such short notice. Thanks in advance

Did you pay the deposit by credit card? If so you should be able to get the money back from the card company. Contact them asking what you need to do to claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. Keep copies of any paperwork or email you have and from now on.

If you paid by any other means it will be difficult to recover anything. You would need to find out the name of the administrator/receiver and contact them to register a claim but you would be an unsecured creditor so probably last in the queue.

You should also find out if they really have gone into administration yet or are just telling you that hoping you will go away (not unheard of). If they haven't then you need to wait until they fail to install. Then give them written notice that if they don't install in say 2 weeks (by date) you will hold them in breech of contract. Finally after that you can go to small claims court and possibly escalate it, ending up with you sending bailiffs (or whatever they call themselves) to try and collect the money. However you do have to give them the opportunity to hold up their end of the contract before you can hold them in breech and go to court. There are fees and hassle going this route and it can be like throwing good money after bad depending on how much is at stake. 

Sorry but unless you paid by CC it doesn't look hopeful.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

What does "ceased trading" mean? I assume they're in administration?

You could find out whether they'd paid anything to the factory. If so (and even if not), I'd be in direct contact with Velfac at the earliest opportunity to explain what's happened and the see whether there's anything they can do. If they've received any of the deposit, it's possible they'll honour at least that amount.

Even if none of the deposit reached Velfac, I'd be sobbing over the phone asking whether there's anything they can do to help you get back on your feet. If they've started production of the windows (and you'd hope so given the due date), they have a strong vested interest in you continuing with the purchase, so you definitely have some leverage. 

I feel for you - we didn't have this happen during our build but I spent a lot of time lying awake at night worrying it would!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack said:

You could find out whether they'd paid anything to the factory.

I read into the OP’s message that the windows themselves are safe and due to be delivered but the (separate) installers who had been paid 50% of the installation cost upfront have gone into administration. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, newhome said:

I read into the OP’s message that the windows themselves are safe and due to be delivered but the (separate) installers who had been paid 50% of the installation cost upfront have gone into administration. 

Sorry, I missed that entirely - ignore me!

• Like 1

Have you paid up fully for the windows. As in if you still have something left to pay them and assuming they are already made you could hopefully use this as a bit of leverage to get velfac to step in and sort you a new installation company out. The windows sitting in their factory will only be any good to you so with a bit of tears over the phone and some good will from them you might have a chance of coming out not to badly damaged.

• Like 1

If the company has gone bust you could try phoning them to see if any of their installers would be able to do the work directly for you.

The Velfac style of window is a bit unusual as the inner timber frame and the outer aluminium sash are the same size. There is normally a gap around the windows of about 12mm which is sealed with Compriband tape.  They also do not come with an outer sill as standard and if a sill is needed the windows are factory fitted with a timber packer and aluminium cills are soursed elsewhere.  I assume someone has done some drawings / window schedule and accounted for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laurenco said:

Our VELFAC windows are being delivered next Wednesday and our VELFAC approved installer, E R Aluform, has just advised they're ceasing trading as of today. We paid them a 50% deposit. Please no abuse on why we agreed to pay them a 50% deposit for the installation; I'm feeling rather fragile and would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice on what to do— whether we can recoup the money? and / or who can fit VELFAC windows at such short notice. Thanks in advance

Having looked at companies house I can see the sole director of E R Aluform is Mr Edward Brent Rigby who was until December 2016 also a director of Velfac so there is clearly a relationship........

I would get on to Velfac and ask them to give you some names of alternative installers in your area. From what I know when we were looking with them your install contract will have no direct connection to Velfac themselves, separate company etc. 

Focus on your build if your windows are delayed knock on costs may escalate.......I would get your windows to site asap then at least you have them safely in your possession. I agree on Velfac being a slightly different install to other windows but with a comprehensive manual from Velfac  other fitters should be able to get them in if you can’t get a Velfac approved one.

It will be months before any creditors see anything if ever.....loss of 50% of install fee is better than 50% of cost of windows, I know it wont be a small sum but it is not a huge one in the scale of things.....our resin drive installer ‘went bust’ owing us nearly £2000.  Sadly no assets to speak of...Ltd company of course....what little available taken in fees by liquidators as usual. 

There is an address for Mr Edward Brent Rigby on the Companies  House data.  He also has a linked in page.  Might be worth exploring a little. I uncovered some interesting things about our drive man ....things he had withheld from his statement to wind up the company....ripples can have far reaching effects and though I may not get my money I will see he never holds another directorship.

• Like 1

We had our team install the velfac windows. Speak to velfac arrange for a training day (circa 400 quid) then get you team to fit them. 

Good luck! If you are that close to delivery they’ve been made in the factory so I’m sure you’ll be able to work something out. They are no use to anyone apart from you ? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, newhome said:

I hope it’s that and not the windows too as that would be much more tragic! 

That's the only thing I can take from this.... if the window manufacturer went bump not the installer, it would most definitely be worse 

Thanks all.  I've wiped myself up off the floor now, and it's time to find a solution. In response to some questions asked:

- Unfortunately we didn't pay by credit card. He wouldn't accept credit card at the time. Citzens Advice said there is no obligation for them to accept credit card.  ?

- Self build insurance doesn't cover things like this. Well ours doesn't. ?

- I have contacted the insolvency practice dealing with the company with the hope of registering a claim. Apparently an auction house collected all the factory machinery this morning (they also fabricate windows) but whatever sums are raised will probably be swallowed up by HMRC and insolvency fees. As @Temp says, we'll probably be last in the queue.

- @lizzie @Ferdinand @Christine Walker VELFAC are trying to source a VELFAC approved contractor who can come in as zero notice, and in the meantime will store the windows free of charge. This is good but they haven't found anyone yet and depending on the timescales this will impact heavily on all our trades who are booked in for after the wind and watertight hurdle.

- @Mr Punter the_r_sole:  The installers' employees have offered to fit the glass into the SCHUCO sliders they fabricated for us (a separate order), but not the VELFAC windows. In any regard it's not such a great deal. £700 cash to fit two huge panes of glass into the frames on the proviso they take no responsibility for damaging the glass in the process. The glass was abandoned against our hedge mid-job — No wrapping. No packaging. Just leaning against the hedge. —  and the longer it's left there and not in the frames, the more susceptible it is to damage. Eddie Rigby of ERAluform really is a bastard! But then, as my husband says, if he'd have gone bump a day earlier we wouldn't have the glass that we paid for either. ?

So - if there are any installers out there who want to fit these two panes of glass (4 men required as they're 2.8m x 2.4m each), then please stand up, please stand up..

@Lesgrandepotato That's really interesting. I'll speak to VELFAC about this. Then, I could potentially get local (non approved) installers in.

Thanks @Moira Niedzwiecka for the recommendation of Paul from PAB. I'll ask the question.

Q.  @craig Have you installed VELFAC before?  - feel free to PM me direct. (Thanks AnonymousBosch for the recommendation)  Fancy being put on their £400 training course?! 

Q.  Has anyone used a non-approved installer and fallen foul of VELFAC's warranty? (I presume it's the same for rational/ Internorm?)

1 minute ago, laurenco said:

Has anyone used a non-approved installer and fallen foul of VELFAC's warranty? (I presume it's the same for rational/ Internorm?)

I had our non approved chippies fit some windows. One developed a fault and after some wriggling Velfac came out and replaced it under warranty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I had our non approved chippies fit some windows. One developed a fault and after some wriggling Velfac came out and replaced it under warranty.

great - that's very useful to know