UFH for first and second floors

Sjk

Hi

it seems that if you have a passiv-esque house you will not need UFH upstairs and maybe no heating at all. 

My build is is more traditional, it won’t be insulated to that level or airtightness, for this reason I think I need to consider the upstairs heating as a must. 

Im reluctant to opt for radiators, one because it will waste space and two because I think they need to be run at a higher temperature. 

So with that in mind, I was considering UFH not only on the ground floor, but the 1st and 2nd floor too. Although I’m concerned about this set up too as there will be little room for insulation and I think the efficiency will be poor. Especially if I have wood flooring. Stone flooring upstairs doesn’t seem right some how. 

Another option is skirting board heating, but it looks *relatively* untested and also runs at a higher temperature. It is however neater and you don’t lose any space. 

Any thoughts would be welcome

I think radiators are a fact of life for this situation. Ugly but true.  You might have to oversize them a bit, but if it's a new build, there's really no reason to build to a standard that an ashp can't service.  Realistically, whilst you might lose a bit of flexibility in room lay out, you're not really losing much space. UHF etc is entirely possible of course, but I looked briefly at the alternatives, and the effort and cost was disproportionate to any benefits.

• Thanks 1

We are also traditionally built 

No MVHR 

Airtightness is very good 

We have UFH on the ground floor 

and small radiators in each of the five bedrooms and three bathrooms 

We moved in just before Christmas and haven’t needed to use the radiators Only to test prior to moving in 

We no carpets down through Jan and Feb 

A lot of heat rises from the ground floor UFH and soon heats the bedrooms up 

• Thanks 1

For our upstairs I'm piping from the downstairs manifold to a loop in the FF bathrooms, and prepping the bedrooms by running a loop from a second manifold (running at higher temp) to each room as well as adding a fused spur nearby. If I feel the need for rads the pipes will be in the stud wall ready to draw out and connect, else a small panel heater can hang on the wall. Not ruling out fan coils either. The higher temp manifold  will also service towel rails.

• Thanks 1

I'm having the same thoughts and have decided to go for UFH upstairs instead of radiators. The costs seem to wash out about the same and as we're having hard flooring throughout I liked the idea of warm floors in bedrooms and bathroom.

My understanding is that even if your u values meet regulations you will notice a difference from houses built 10 years ago in terms of heating requirements.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...