Digging parallel to footings

Student

Hi

I need to dig a shallow oversite within an extension as there will be a suspended timber floor over it. I was going to dig around 50mm below the footings, directly along side them. I'm hoping this isn't deep enough to worry about doing it in sections? I'm going to pour the concrete within an hour of digging. 

note that the footings are on a Victorian terrace, so they are basically at ground level. Hoping to do this in about an hours time, so any advice would be great. Probably going to risk it if I hear nothing back!! ?

Ha, I didn't get round to it unfortunately. Got held up because half of the chemical fixings I fitted the day before pulled straight out of the wall when tightening. Turns out that assuming the holes were 2/3 full with resin was a bad idea - lesson learned the hard way!!

Will attempt to do this after work today...

With chemical fixings it is very important the the hole is clean and free of dust. You can get kits specially for this but if you are on a budget blow down a piece of tube or a straw inserted into the hole (eyes closed) and an old toothbrush.

I had done the cleaning process thoroughly, I just hadn't put enough resin in. I had 8 threaded rods already in place in a timber and chose to line them up with the holes and push them all in one go, this impeded my view of if excess resin came out of the holes during insertion. I would have preferred not to do it that way but was worried that if all my holes weren't perfectly straight that I'd struggle to get the ledger plate on once the fixings had set. I'd obviously not do it this way in future but at least I found out there were some dodgy fixings now and not once there was no longer access to them! Got lucky.

I have found that with the holes drilled in the timber and the masonry 2mm bigger than the stud I am able to inject the resin, insert the stud, rotating anticlockwise, then fit the timber. You are right though - everything needs to be nice and straight.

I was worried about the threads getting filled with crap when pushing through the timber but in retrospect should have brushed the holes in the timber and not only the holes in the wall. Still, I know what to do next time! I actually glad that most of the timber's weight is being supported on a wall below because I don't 100% trust these fixings!