Amateur bob

Getting electric to plot

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

thanks ill give them both an email, once ive got those two quotes ill need a sewerage plant and then ill be ready to apply for planning?

You need to fill in a form online for quotes not an email, your sewage treatment plant will be part of the planning application along with the arrangements for the run off from it, in Scotland you need permission from sepa to install this 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still feel you doing it wrong way round 

If you cannot get PP on theses sites then every other cost is hypothetical 

rough drawing of what you are wanting and  then spend a bit of money on a meeting with planning  would be the way I suggest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I still feel you doing it wrong way round 

If you cannot get PP on theses sites then every other cost is hypothetical 

rough drawing of what you are wanting and  then spend a bit of money on a meeting with planning  would be the way I suggest 

the quotes will be free though will they not? the planners are wanting £200 for pre application advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

You need to fill in a form online for quotes not an email, your sewage treatment plant will be part of the planning application along with the arrangements for the run off from it, in Scotland you need permission from sepa to install this 

will i need to get in touch with sepa and get their permission before i can make application?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Amateur bob said:

the quotes will be free though will they not? the planners are wanting £200 for pre application advice

Yes the quotes are free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

think you are missing the point

get free quotes if you like ,but If you can,t get PP then whats the use of electric and water supply?

If spending £200 makes you uncomfortable 

--then forget building your own house 

i spent 4£400 on a topographical survey for a plot --just as well cos the one the owner showed on the PP was nothing like correct--would have needed  2days digger to get the levels he showed+ hundreds  in removing spoil---which wold have cost a lot more than the survey cost 

Edited by scottishjohn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Amateur bob said:

will i need to get in touch with sepa and get their permission before i can make application?

No, you would be applying for permission from sepa during the planning/building warrant stage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

out of interest say i put in for outline planning and spent the £400 and it passed, could i then submit for detailed for free or would it be another £400? or am i better just to put in for detailed to start with? thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

think you are missing the point

get free quotes if you like ,but If you can,t get PP then whats the use of electric and water supply?

I can see where the op is coming from, why bother applying for pp if you can’t get the services or if they are going to be too expensive, we would probably never have applied for pp if we’d known that we were going to get a quote of £25k for electric connection but we were lulled into a false sense of security with the pole being in the garden 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amateur bob said:

out of interest say i put in for outline planning and spent the £400 and it passed, could i then submit for detailed for free or would it be another £400? or am i better just to put in for detailed to start with? thanks

You would have to pay again for detailed planning however I wouldn’t advise going for detailed right away as it will cost you a lot more unless you can do all the house plans and everything else associated with a detailed application yourself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Christine Walker said:

I can see where the op is coming from, why bother applying for pp if you can’t get the services or if they are going to be too expensive, we would probably never have applied for pp if we’d known that we were going to get a quote of £25k for electric connection but we were lulled into a false sense of security with the pole being in the garden 

services you can always get at a price --not so with planning  its much more yes or no situation  and if you start going to argue about PP then the cost will make cost of services  seem cheap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Christine Walker said:

You would have to pay again for detailed planning however I wouldn’t advise going for detailed right away as it will cost you a lot more unless you can do all the house plans and everything else associated with a detailed application yourself 

and that will NOT be £400 --how much was your PP christine ?how many thousands ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scottishjohn said:

and that will NOT be £400 --how much was your PP christine ?how many thousands ?

Probably all in with the building warrant and all fees for architect and engineer about £7k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Christine Walker said:

Probably all in with the building warrant and all fees for architect and engineer about £7k

I,m not trying to put him off --just inject a bit of reality into  the thing and what IMHO is the right way to start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I,m not trying to put him off --just inject a bit of reality into  the thing and what IMHO is the right way to start

Yes I do realise this, I don’t know if you’re on a budget there is a right or wrong way to go about it, in our case we identified the prospective plot first and spent the £400 getting outline pp, it wasn’t until we had got the detailed pp that we made the application for water and electric, had we started the other way round and enquired about the services first we would probably never have made the pp application because we couldn’t have afforded to take that amount off our build budget for the services, I think what added to our naivety was the fact that we had two other plots we were marketing and the ea had asked us to get quotes for services and they had come in pretty normal, as it turned out we’d gone past the point of no return by the time we found out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Probably all in with the building warrant and all fees for architect and engineer about £7k

i was thinking of using a timber frame company and using one of their own designs to save in architect fees is there any drawbacks with this approach? what other costs are in that 7k? thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

I,m not trying to put him off --just inject a bit of reality into  the thing and what IMHO is the right way to start

the quotes are free though, the planing isnt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

think you are missing the point

get free quotes if you like ,but If you can,t get PP then whats the use of electric and water supply?

If spending £200 makes you uncomfortable 

--then forget building your own house 

i spent 4£400 on a topographical survey for a plot --just as well cos the one the owner showed on the PP was nothing like correct--would have needed  2days digger to get the levels he showed+ hundreds  in removing spoil---which wold have cost a lot more than the survey cost 

he's on a farm and will probably get permission with agricultural restrictions for a workers house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

i was thinking of using a timber frame company and using one of their own designs to save in architect fees is there any drawbacks with this approach? what other costs are in that 7k? thanks

We did that with our first build but we still needed an architect as we couldn’t have gone through the planning process ourselves as complete novices, I think the kit firms still charge for their plans and SE services 

the costs in the £7k were , architect, planning fee , building warrant and SE fees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

We did that with our first build but we still needed an architect as we couldn’t have gone through the planning process ourselves as complete novices, I think the kit firms still charge for their plans and SE services 

the costs in the £7k were , architect, planning fee , building warrant and SE fees

SE fees?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now