Amateur bob

Getting electric to plot

im trying to choose between 2 potential plot sites and  i need cost to connect to electric, there a an electric wire 10m from one plot and 150m from the other, is there a specific connection point or can it be connected anywhere by running a wire up a pole? can i email electric provider to ask about electric on a plot that has no planning? thanks

Depends on the type of wire..! You could find these are LV or HV, so a transformer could / would be required. That could be north of £20k or more depending on the grid capacity and whether you have to get the line upgraded too.

The DNO will usually give you an indication of the connection cost before you submit a planning application or buy a plot.  Costs are really hard to guess, as they depend very much on the specific local infrastructure, and the fact that there's a power pole nearby is no guarantee that there's available capacity in the local distribution network.  Sometimes DNOs have been known to ask for a contribution towards local network reinforcement for a new connection, and these costs can be quite high.

As an example, we had power available about 10m from our new house, but an overhead cable needed to be diverted underground and an existing underground cable (running right under where the house now sits) had to be moved.  Our ground works person dug all the trenches, uncovered the DNOs cable and laid duct, and the DNO charged about £3,500 to connect up their new cables.

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The DNO will usually give you an indication of the connection cost before you submit a planning application or buy a plot.  Costs are really hard to guess, as they depend very much on the specific local infrastructure, and the fact that there's a power pole nearby is no guarantee that there's available capacity in the local distribution network.  Sometimes DNOs have been known to ask for a contribution towards local network reinforcement for a new connection, and these costs can be quite high.

As an example, we had power available about 10m from our new house, but an overhead cable needed to be diverted underground and an existing underground cable (running right under where the house now sits) had to be moved.  Our ground works person dug all the trenches, uncovered the DNOs cable and laid duct, and the DNO charged about £3,500 to connect up their new cables.

what is a DNO? how would i go about finding out a rough connection cost? thanks

You will be able to get a quote for connection but as @JSHarris says just because there’s a pole nearby doesn’t mean you can get a straightforward connection 

we have a pole on our plot but they wanted 25k to give us a connection 

do i need to give the electric company detailed drawings or just a rough indication on a map of where plot would be? thanks

5 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

what is a DNO? how would i go about finding out a rough connection cost? thanks

DNO = Distribution Network Operator, the company responsible for electrical power distribution in your region.  For example, our DNO is SSE, a few miles West of us this changes to Western Power Distribution.  You can find out the DNO from the 'phone book usually, listed under electrical emergency contacts.

I emailed SSE a site location plan and they sent someone around to do a survey and give a written quote.  I did this before we agreed to purchase the plot.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

do i need to give the electric company detailed drawings or just a rough indication on a map of where plot would be? thanks

as detailed as possible showing grid reference  from OS map and show where you want the meter to be installed on the house or if having temporary connection to get site electrics where that will be -

suggest you ring them and they will tell you what they need wil usually take 2 -7 days to get a quote back if simple .If the pole you see has 3 wires onit --then it will probably need a transformer fitting --so that will add a good chunk

plan should look something like this below,but with postcode and map referrence-

120m and me doing the tench digging--£13k

glebe house elec.jpg

Edited by scottishjohn

Be prepared for them to hit you with a high charge and then have to argue them down. We started at £15k and are now down nearer £6K

52 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

im trying to choose between 2 potential plot sites and  i need cost to connect to electric, there a an electric wire 10m from one plot and 150m from the other, is there a specific connection point or can it be connected anywhere by running a wire up a pole? can i email electric provider to ask about electric on a plot that has no planning? thanks

do they both have planning in principle at least 

if not thats still first thing to check 

10 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Be prepared for them to hit you with a high charge and then have to argue them down. We started at £15k and are now down nearer £6K

highllands =islands you can get a grant --thats why they came down probably

11 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

highllands =islands you can get a grant --thats why they came down probably

I wish, most of it was the pole. They insisted that it needed replacing and upgraded to a stout. We knew it had been upgraded to a stout 8 years previously. The ended up sending out a "conflict resolution manager"  

3 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

do they both have planning in principle at least 

if not thats still first thing to check 

no planning just two potential sites on dads farm

4 hours ago, JSHarris said:

DNO = Distribution Network Operator, the company responsible for electrical power distribution in your region.  For example, our DNO is SSE, a few miles West of us this changes to Western Power Distribution.  You can find out the DNO from the 'phone book usually, listed under electrical emergency contacts.

I emailed SSE a site location plan and they sent someone around to do a survey and give a written quote.  I did this before we agreed to purchase the plot.

ive looked it up and its sse, is the quote they give me legally binding so that they dont put that up once ive planning?

2 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

ive looked it up and its sse, is the quote they give me legally binding so that they dont put that up once ive planning?

No, it'll just be an estimate initially, but it shouldn't change much, if at all.  I found that SSE gave me an initial estimate, and after we'd bought the plot I went back to them and negotiated the final price.  Their quote will include contestable and non-contestable work.  The non-contestable work is usually non-negotiable; it's the work they have to do, like cable jointing and connecting the supply.  The contestable work can be done by any suitably approved contractor, and includes stuff like digging trenches, laying duct and making good on roads, pavements etc.  You can sometimes get a better price by getting your ground works contractor to do the contestable work, depends on what else you're having done at the same time.  In our case we were having to trench across a lane for our drain, so it made sense for our ground works chap to do both trenches.  For a single trench across a road for just electricity it may well be cheaper to just get SSE to do it.

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

No, it'll just be an estimate initially, but it shouldn't change much, if at all.  I found that SSE gave me an initial estimate, and after we'd bought the plot I went back to them and negotiated the final price.  Their quote will include contestable and non-contestable work.  The non-contestable work is usually non-negotiable; it's the work they have to do, like cable jointing and connecting the supply.  The contestable work can be done by any suitably approved contractor, and includes stuff like digging trenches, laying duct and making good on roads, pavements etc.  You can sometimes get a better price by getting your ground works contractor to do the contestable work, depends on what else you're having done at the same time.  In our case we were having to trench across a lane for our drain, so it made sense for our ground works chap to do both trenches.  For a single trench across a road for just electricity it may well be cheaper to just get SSE to do it.

thanks ill need to try and get quotes for both sites then, what about a water connection is that a similar scenario? thanks

6 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

thanks ill need to try and get quotes for both sites then, what about a water connection is that a similar scenario? thanks

Yes, it's the same process.  Find the water company for the area and then contact them and ask for a price for a connection.  Same rules as for electricity, in that there will be a contestable and non-contestable element.

The reason for the mandatory contestable and non-contestable split is because the utility companies have a monopoly on supply in any area, so they have been forced (by government) to split out work that any suitably authorised contractor can do, as distinct from work they must do in order to maintain the function and safety of their networks.

14 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Yes, it's the same process.  Find the water company for the area and then contact them and ask for a price for a connection.  Same rules as for electricity, in that there will be a contestable and non-contestable element.

The reason for the mandatory contestable and non-contestable split is because the utility companies have a monopoly on supply in any area, so they have been forced (by government) to split out work that any suitably authorised contractor can do, as distinct from work they must do in order to maintain the function and safety of their networks.

ahh i see surely the water connection will be cheaper though im hearing some scary figures for electric

16 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

ahh i see surely the water connection will be cheaper though im hearing some scary figures for electric

Might be cheaper, might be more expensive.  Getting mains water to our plot would have cost around £24k, whereas getting electricity only cost about £3.5k.  Although we're in the middle of a village, with neighbours that have a mains water supply, changes in the water regulations meant that none of the pipes near us could be legally used to supply us.  As a consequence, had we wanted mains water then we'd have had to dig up over 100m of road to get it, blocking access to about 4 houses in the process.  We opted to drill a borehole instead, as it was cheaper.

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Might be cheaper, might be more expensive.  Getting mains water to our plot would have cost around £24k, whereas getting electricity only cost about £3.5k.  Although we're in the middle of a village, with neighbours that have a mains water supply, changes in the water regulations meant that none of the pipes near us could be legally used to supply us.  As a consequence, had we wanted mains water then we'd have had to dig up over 100m of road to get it, blocking access to about 4 houses in the process.  We opted to drill a borehole instead, as it was cheaper.

ah i see, digging up the road would be the bit that would fairly add to the cost then

5 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

ah i see, digging up the road would be the bit that would fairly add to the cost then

Yes, the cost of digging up, and resurfacing, a lane is a heck of a lot more than digging a trench across a field.  The really annoying thing in our case is that there is a water pipe running down the lane right past our house (~6m away from it), that has plenty of capacity to supply our house, but because, legally, that pipe is classified as a communication pipe, we cannot connect to it (all new connections must go back to a water main).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

and then think of cost of septic tank or sewage treatment plant 

£2k- £5k?

I am looking at a plot where mains water is not possible due to height+distance  above mains 600metres and 110m higher up than mains 

so looking at rainwater harvesting and purification --looks like £5k+

might not be a good idea if close to city ?

Edited by scottishjohn

Quite ironically it took us months to get our water in because of not being able to find someone to do the road crossing but during the course of the preliminary work we discovered a spring coming up and flooding what was to be the driveway, we had to divert it and pipe it to the burn at the back of the plot, had we known of its existence I’m sure we could have used it as a source of water but unfortunately there wasn’t time to look into it. By the way it’s a year today since our TF arrived on site, amazing what you can achieve in a year!

@Amateur bob the quotes you are after can be done online via the respective websites. We did exactly that when we were pricing up the costs of connections. We found both Scottish Power and Scottish Water to be easy to deal with and the whole process was painless both financially and emotionally!

1 hour ago, Redoctober said:

@Amateur bob the quotes you are after can be done online via the respective websites. We did exactly that when we were pricing up the costs of connections. We found both Scottish Power and Scottish Water to be easy to deal with and the whole process was painless both financially and emotionally!

thanks ill give them both an email, once ive got those two quotes ill need a sewerage plant and then ill be ready to apply for planning?