Driveway materials

mosh86

Hi all. Hopefully someone can help me with conformation of my quantity of materials from my driveway. Asked on a couple other sites but with no definitive answer. 

Anyway ive calculated I need. 

46m2 drive. 

Mot type 1 @ 100mm: 9 tonnes

sharp sand: 6 bulk bags

kiln dried sand: 10 20/25kg bags. 

Thanks in advance. 

I’m doing doing my drive at the moment

60 mil blocks I’m getting about 8 mtr per bag of kiln dried 

Having to sort through kiln dried when buying as much of it has spoiled due to bad storing in sunlight 

Sharp sand I’m using about a ton per 15 mtrs of paving

Worth mentioning that permeable pavers (as required by the SuDS regulations) need to be bedded on Type 3, using grit blinding, rather than Type 1 and sand, in order to comply with the regs.  It seems that these regs are being fairly widely ignored, but in some areas BC and planning are pretty insistent about it (our drive was even inspected to ensure it complied, believe it or not).  We had a planning condition that required us to get written approval for the SuDS-compliant drive surface/drainage arrangements.

Just now, JSHarris said:

Worth mentioning that permeable pavers (as required by the SuDS regulations) need to be bedded on Type 3, using grit blinding, rather than Type 1 and sand, in order to comply with the regs.  It seems that these regs are being fairly widely ignored, but in some areas BC and planning are pretty insistent about it (our drive was even inspected to ensure it complied, believe it or not).  We had a planning condition that required us to get written approval for the SuDS-compliant drive surface/drainage arrangements.

Good point 

It’s actually in our PP

mention by BC on more than one occasion 

does the SUDS regs not allow you to run ALL  the drainage to a soak away or main drains ,as i have old house both sewage +drainage goes same way 

that way you can use ,my preferred method for pavoirs --bed on dry sand /cement mix -they never sink or move if you do it that way --but is impervious to water,so need drainage 

Edited by scottishjohn

2 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

does the SUDS regs not allow you to run ALL  the drainage to a soak away or main drains ,as i have old house both sewage +drainage goes same way 

that way you can use ,my preferred method for pavoirs --bed on dry sand /cement mix -they never sink or move if you do it that way --but is impervious to water,so need drainage 

I’ve run all mine so far to drainage 

But BC has told me it must also be permissible 

09C9F999-26AC-4619-AD01-BB210BA4F820.jpeg

81354202-322D-41B5-90B5-CCDA00B97B6C.jpeg

457AF115-EAD1-46C4-94A2-2B59D7C8376A.jpeg

D487DAD5-84CD-46ED-9159-FFC7A4B85AB4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

The regs allow controlled run-off to drains/soakaways, but there are increasing restrictions being placed on connections to combined sewers in many areas (here surface water drainage to a combined sewer is just outlawed, for example). 

When I costed up conventional pavers bedded on Type 1 and sand, with linear drains etc, the cost was higher than just using permeable pavers bedded on grit that self-drained.  Works well, and no harder to lay (if anything slightly quicker, according to the chap that laid ours).  The grit between the pavers also has the advantage that it seems less prone to ants and weed growth.

5 hours ago, nod said:

I’m doing doing my drive at the moment

60 mil blocks I’m getting about 8 mtr per bag of kiln dried 

Having to sort through kiln dried when buying as much of it has spoiled due to bad storing in sunlight 

Sharp sand I’m using about a ton per 15 mtrs of paving

Thanks. Is that 50mm of sharp sand? So 5 bulk bags of sharp should be more than enough. 

More worried that I over order the type 1 as no where to keep it. 

1 hour ago, mosh86 said:

Thanks. Is that 50mm of sharp sand? So 5 bulk bags of sharp should be more than enough. 

More worried that I over order the type 1 as no where to keep it. 

I’m averages 40 with falls