Suspended Joist Floor

Toppers

We have a new suspended 6 x 2 joist floor and are planning to fit a water fed UFH heating system, I had set out the joists to allow for 18mm chipboard, 6mm tile backer, adhesive, tile to meet the level of the existing floor, would I be better going for a thinner ply and a thicker tile backer in order to make the UFH more effective?

I put UFH in my suspended floor but had it underneath the floor deck on alu spreader plates. We put a resin floor on top (ply subfloor to minimise flexing).

Is your UFH constrained to that area?

On 08/07/2019 at 14:52, Bitpipe said:

I put UFH in my suspended floor but had it underneath the floor deck on alu spreader plates. We put a resin floor on top (ply subfloor to minimise flexing).

I was told the spreader plates dont conduct the heat as well as a biscuit screed mix so sort of steered clear of them.

Yes the UFH is only in the this area/room.

16 hours ago, Toppers said:

I was told the spreader plates dont conduct the heat as well as a biscuit screed mix so sort of steered clear of them.

Yes the UFH is only in the this area/room.

Spreader plates are much more heat conductive than biscuit mix, but they have little heat capacity, so the floor will tend to heat up and cool down much more quickly.  If you want a more gentle heat, that tends to be a bit more even, then a biscuit mix will probably be better.  If you want UFH that heats up quickly, then spreader plates might be better.

3 hours ago, Toppers said:

usually the words used by someone who hasn’t fitted them properly.... they need to be tight up to the bottom of the floor above, and preferably insulated below too. 

Bitpipe. Show us your resin floor please.

11 hours ago, PeterW said:

usually the words used by someone who hasn’t fitted them properly.... they need to be tight up to the bottom of the floor above, and preferably insulated below too. 

Yup - I stapled mine to the joists then, when pipe and deck were laid, stapled from underneath to the deck above to ensure a snug fit. Rockwool insulation underneath and then PB (as the basement is under this floor. As our floor deck is about 50mm of OSB, ply & resin, it heats up quickly but does hold the heat a little.

1 minute ago, Bitpipe said:

Sure - this is a continuous surface through the whole 110m2 ground floor, inc WC.

4BFAF542-0558-4144-B05A-1DB334918E16.jpeg

Thanks. I think that looks fantastic. I normally use either Karndean, Amtico, etc, as i won't have carpets downstairs, and engineered wood etc is prone to being damaged easily. I would'nt expect you to tell me how much it cost, but is it very expensive ?

19 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Thanks. I think that looks fantastic. I normally use either Karndean, Amtico, etc, as i won't have carpets downstairs, and engineered wood etc is prone to being damaged easily. I would'nt expect you to tell me how much it cost, but is it very expensive ?

Worth saying that it’s been down 3 years now and is wearing very well - quick mop and it’s back to new.

Was about £100/m2 so not much more than a large format tile when you include the labour

Edited by Bitpipe
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PeterW said:

It was from a company that supplies the UFH equipment, it would be better for them to advise me to use them as they sell them I'd have thought.

Which product did you use? DIY or contractor?