Self Insurance cost more if not taken at the start ?

Willow

HI 

My Self build is about to start imminently and I can't get the insurance / quotes quick enough due to the insurance asking for so much documentation about the foundations coal mining reports, professional indemnity, insurance from the person doing the footings,  evidence of no party wall etc, I seem to be waiting on a million people to get back to me with different info,  the groundworker has his own insurance so my question is can I get the insurance after the groundwork and will it cost more?  I still have my building insurance for the land which my house once sat on so I assume my public liability cover within that would be adequate from any trespassers ?  My husband has employers and public liabilty insurance for his company but I would need to increase the nature of work aspect.

need help, never again ! 

I did exactly this.  I agreed with our ground works chap that the site would be his responsibility for the 6 weeks he was working, so his insurance covered everything.  It worked well, as he wanted to do site security etc anyway, as he had a couple of diggers, a dumper, water tank, secure storage container etc on site.

1 hour ago, Willow said:

Thanks all, Ive been on Sennocke website it directs me to self build zone who are asking all the questions, I'm also waiting to see what protek require 

Is it for site insurance 

Or warrantee

We had similar problems  with the build Warrantee

BZ wanted main contractor qualification and previous job

I told the No main contractor We are doing the work ourselves

I gave up and went to protect

5 days from making contact 

2 visits in two and half years   

Its just for site insurance  not doing the warranty as we don't intend to sell and I've looked into that and equally if not more of a nightmare, we are doing a lot ourselves but getting someone to do the ground work and a brickie for the build .  

1 hour ago, Willow said:

Its just for site insurance  not doing the warranty as we don't intend to sell and I've looked into that and equally if not more of a nightmare, we are doing a lot ourselves but getting someone to do the ground work and a brickie for the build .  

Our houses have all been done with an architects certificate and although they were well out of date by the time of selling (one was 14 years old by the time we sold it) solicitors for the buyers still wanted to see the certificate and the sale wouldn’t have gone through without it, I know you’re saying you don’t intend to sell but I would be careful about this as it could come back and bite you years down the line if you ever did decide to sell 

2 hours ago, Willow said:

Its just for site insurance  not doing the warranty as we don't intend to sell 

Protek did not ask for all that extra documentation when I took out site insurance last year. The extra stuff you are being asked for sounds like what is necessary for a building warranty.