Setting up a VAT Reg Company ??

Not a good idea, as you'd then be building the house as a commercial entity, rather than as a self-build.  That could well have consequences on things like CIL (the exemption is only for self-build) as well as for any finance (would need a commercial loan rather than a self-build mortgage, perhaps).  It would also mean having to accept the responsibilities that a commercial house building company has to bear, everything from liability insurance to safety management regulations.

I would go back to the insurer and question whether they understand that you are a self-builder, and hence a client as far as the services and suppliers that you may choose to use during the build.

17 minutes ago, Willow said:

We are just about to start a new build, and self build insurance is asking if we have set up a VAT registered company for it?   Is this something we need to do ?   

They have asked as if you have then you need different insurance. It is not a requirement and as @JSHarris says it will cause numerous issues elsewhere ..!!

If this is BuildZone (Sennocke) then it’s a standard question. 

In a twist to this, when you do your personal self build VAT reclaim, they do ask you if you're a director of a VAT registered company and to provide that number, guess it's to catch some VAT scam or other...

53 minutes ago, Willow said:

We are just about to start a new build, and self build insurance is asking if we have set up a VAT registered company for it?   Is this something we need to do ?   

I’m vat registered through my building business and have been carful to keep the two Separate

As it would effect my SB status  

Insurance have a habit of asking daft questions 

• 3 weeks later...

eGood morning,

The answer is a definite NO NO NO,   self build is self build, not a business.  I use Meridien consult, who will do site insurance, building inspection, 10 year warranty insurance, ( which means 1 person visiting, not 2 ( they even accept photos if they cant get out to you) they are quick reliable and comptative in price. so you don't need to use the local building inspector.

hope that helps,

regards

Stephen

5 hours ago, stephen margerison said:

they even accept photos if they cant get out to you

How frequently have they been unable to get to you? Our BCO turned up every time we asked.

16 minutes ago, Temp said:

How frequently have they been unable to get to you? Our BCO turned up every time we asked.

I’ve used Meridian - they will come and inspect and then ask for any remediation to be done and happy to accept photo evidence. The reports are very detailed too - I think each has 7-10 photos taken by the inspector in each which helps when there is any query or even if something did happen to them. 

• Like 1

Having had 2 pre planning meetings, having waited 7 months for planning, (still no decision) I was asked to withdraw my application, NO chance, my consultant is now making progress with the head of planning, why would I even want to use the local building officer, when I have had excellent service from Meridien consult, its just not worth the risk. sorry 

regards,

Stephen

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stephen margerison said:

Having had 2 pre planning meetings, having waited 7 months for planning, (still no decision) I was asked to withdraw my application, NO chance, my consultant is now making progress with the head of planning, why would I even want to use the local building officer, when I have had excellent service from Meridien consult, its just not worth the risk. sorry 

regards,

Stephen

The simple answer seems to be that some private building control companies are ceasing trading because they are struggling to get insurance: https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/building-control-at-crisis-point-as-inspectors-struggle-to-find-insurance-cover/10043285.article

Hopefully this will be resolved, but if it isn't there's a fair chance that the use of private building inspection companies might cease to be an option.