The Next War & Peace

Onoff

Possibly have the opportunity to get my driveway dug out for the cost of the dumper/digger diesel it takes. I can also get rid of the spoil too.

In terms of sub base I've a fair bit of mixed hard core; 7 jumbo bags plus I think 80 ordinary rubble bags. I'll be onto Paving Expert site but is using this stuff as a sub base with minimal breaking up a goer? Trying to save all round and not hire a crusher. It's a mix of roof tiles, bathroom tiles, render  brick, block, old concrete path etc. Rough area is 6m x 6m but likely to grow a bit!

Should be fine 

I hired a drive on roller fo £50 delivered first thing and collected at lunchtime 

Not much will survive under that bad boy 

Then a few barrows of 20 mil to dust to bind it together 

28 minutes ago, nod said:

Should be fine 

I hired a drive on roller fo £50 delivered first thing and collected at lunchtime 

Not much will survive under that bad boy 

Then a few barrows of 20 mil to dust to bind it together 

Ta. Might have to stretch to a proper whacker. Don't think my 5kN Evolution electric one will cut it.

I've a trench or two to dig across the drive for power, comms etc. Seen too many times this done then the trench line not properly compacted and the paving sinking a couple of years later. With hindsight I should have had the trench dug and laid the duct(s) a couple of years back and allowed for "natural settlement! Needs the "elephant's foot" whacker type too.

Maybe I'll get a hire deal on both whackers! ?

44 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Ta. Might have to stretch to a proper whacker. Don't think my 5kN Evolution electric one will cut it.

I've a trench or two to dig across the drive for power, comms etc. Seen too many times this done then the trench line not properly compacted and the paving sinking a couple of years later. With hindsight I should have had the trench dug and laid the duct(s) a couple of years back and allowed for "natural settlement! Needs the "elephant's foot" whacker type too.

I seem to remember a half-finished DIY whacker back in the early days of the bathroom.  Maybe finish that one?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I seem to remember a half-finished DIY whacker back in the early days of the bathroom.  Maybe finish that one?

Hmm...wish the bench was still as tidy...

Good excuse to give the kids a go at welding! 

SAM_0800

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Just hire a ride on bomag for a weekend and be done with it ..!! More than enough weight to sort the problem even where trenches are concerned. 

22 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Just hire a ride on bomag for a weekend and be done with it ..!! More than enough weight to sort the problem even where trenches are concerned. 

I had to look up "bomag"!

Had a quick pace out last night. More like 9 x 6m area for the main "rectangle" of the drive but aiming to make a bit bigger to get another car on.

Think I'll sort my gate pillars first then that'll make the working area for doing the drive more secure.

Edited by Onoff