Contract with builder ?

We have started an extreme renovation on or property. After much of the house was removed we had a wobble, stopped the builder and applied for planning to demolish entirely and new build. 8 weeks later due to budgetary constraints we have decided to stick with the renovation. We did not have a contract with the builder so have been advised by the architect to use a JCT contract and ask him to requote so we can understand our final costs better. The builder will build to plate then a timber frame company will fit the first floor with the builder returning to tile the roof. All other trades will be organised by ourselves.  

The question is should we use a contract? They look incredibly complicated and may be happier paying to have it set up but then the builder may be miffed as he is only doing part of the build. We have no reason to distrust the builder but we are novices and want to ensure it is built correctly to drawing and will take the timber frame. If there is no contract do we have any redress if it is wrong?

To make it more complicated my partner who was over-seeing the build has been taken ill so we are considering a project manager to do site visits and take some of the strain. Does anyone have views if this is a good idea or if it will erode our builder relationship.

I think a full blown contract may scare your builder off

If he was doing the full job I would say yes definitely  

I would get everything in writing and itemised That you need doing in order to get the TF company in

Then ask him to re quote when the TF company has finished 

It will make life easier for you and sit better with your builder 

I think a full blown contract may scare your builder off

If he was doing the full job I would say yes definitely  

I would get everything in writing and itemised That you need doing in order to get the TF company in

Then ask him to re quote when the TF company has finished 

It will make life easier for you and sit better with your builder 

1 hour ago, oldkettle said:

@nod will the builder normally accept a line in any short contract saying "build to the drawings" as opposed to "to the building regs" or "the way I always do it"? 

Yes build to drawing is the ideal

Then If BC come along with Something they are not happy with a solution can be agreed between the three of you  

• Thanks 1