Sliding windows

So we are just about to start looking at windows, which I think will be the most stressful bit of the build. 

We we are looking at a number of windows that we would like as sliding, so open left to right or right to left

we are also looking for a modern looking sash so up and down openings 

anybody got any thoughts. 

You don't need the same firm for all the windows as for example you may get sliding doors from one and casement windows from another.  As long as they are broadly similar they will look fine.

Munster Joinery have had a few positive mentions, but may be hard to get to quote.

Vertical sashes are quite unusual nowadays. Why are you keen?

We had very modern vertical sash in the last house

i think they tick a lot of boxes all these Euro windows seem to think is ok

inwards opening, er why?? Gets in the way, why do I want a window that takes up floor space

outwards opening, er why?? Again why do I want to walk past a window on my nice patio with this thing projecting out into the space. 

With the vertical sash you can have the top down 50-100mm for a bit of fresh air, or lift up the bottom for a big breeze to blow in, they provided very easy fire escape as the bottom lifts up to half the frame height. 

Easy to fit blinds

i cannot see a reason not to like them, unless they won’t close tight enough for the high standard we need over here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

i cannot see a reason not to like them, unless they won’t close tight enough for the high standard we need over here. 

Precisely.  They are a bit notorious for not being easy to seal, and for the seals degrading over time, as there is sod all to keep the seal tight to the sliding frame/sash, or to seal consistently in the longer term between the sashes. 

45 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Precisely.  They are a bit notorious for not being easy to seal, and for the seals degrading over time, as there is sod all to keep the seal tight to the sliding frame/sash, or to seal consistently in the longer term between the sashes. 

good point that