Can my PIR insulation live outside?

Carrerahill

All the insulation arrived today, does it need to be under cover?

It would take a lot of effort and a lot more effort to clear a space to put it indoors so it wasn't in the way and the garage is full of timber and tiles and cement just now.

I don't want to double handle the PIR boards, so, can it just stay put outside until I use it? Probably a couple of weeks tops - it's just it does have a symbol showing a umbrella with rain which is the keep dry symbol. It's closed cell so I cannot see how rain would upset it.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

All the insulation arrived today, does it need to be under cover?

It would take a lot of effort and a lot more effort to clear a space to put it indoors so it wasn't in the way and the garage is full of timber and tiles and cement just now.

I don't want to double handle the PIR boards, so, can it just stay put outside until I use it? Probably a couple of weeks tops - it's just it does have a symbol showing a umbrella with rain which is the keep dry symbol. It's closed cell so I cannot see how rain would upset it.

Thanks

It’s ok to leave it outside 

Nearly always left outside onsite 

• Like 2

Just now, A_L said:

Ideally should at least be covered to keep rain off. Under permanently damp conditions PIR can undergo hydrolysis (breakdown into constituent parts). It is why when used as under slab insulation it has a dpm below as well as above.

http://blog.celotex.co.uk/technical/what-celotex-insulation-can-be-used-in-floor-applications/

I don’t think two weeks this time of year will do it much harm

• Like 1

Onv we wary 

1 minute ago, nod said:

I don’t think two weeks this time of year will do it much harm

We had a month's rainfall in an hour only a few weeks ago :) 

Be wary of wind as much as rain unless you want to go on a PIR treasure hunt...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

OK thanks guys. It all makes sense, all of the stuff outside is in it's wrapping - they are just a bit torn up. I'll look out tarps later.

I might even start installing some! 

Couple sheets of cheap DPM and a few concrete blocks and your sorted.

PIR is left exposed in cavity walls while they are built. I'd just buy a large cheap tarp off ebay. Stick some blocks on it. I'd be more worried about it being stolen .

• Like 2

Edges go a bit yellow and manky if it lives outside for too long.

20190705_064503.thumb.jpg.feb759a63bc8bd39dedc88754398c65f.jpg

I've just gotten round to cutting this stack of freebie sheets up on the table saw. No mask :ph34r:, could explain why I'm coughing up green + blood. It's either the pir fibres, when I cleaned all the cr@p off the tiles last weekend or when I de-ratted the car the other day.

Mask then eh?

Wish I could use the table saw for mine (while wearing a mask) but at 150mm I am a bit out of the max depth of cut!

I am also thinking about putting some of the left over 150mm stuff between the joists in the loft in the eaves over the master - we currently have 50mm EPS so I think I will take that out, put in the PIR, then put the EPS back down and use some of my left over OSB to floor it. Toasty!

Just now, Carrerahill said:

Wish I could use the table saw for mine (while wearing a mask) but at 150mm I am a bit out of the max depth of cut! 

Erm...just cut half way through then turn it over?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Edges go a bit yellow and manky if it lives outside for too long.

20190705_064503.thumb.jpg.feb759a63bc8bd39dedc88754398c65f.jpg

I've just gotten round to cutting this stack of freebie sheets up on the table saw. No mask :ph34r:, could explain why I'm coughing up green + blood. It's either the pir fibres, when I cleaned all the cr@p off the tiles last weekend or when I de-ratted the car the other day.

Mask then eh?

Wetting down the floor would use also help perhaps.

Like a car painter in his workshop.

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Wetting down the floor would use also help perhaps.

Like a car painter in his workshop.

Not my table saw. Floor in mate's shed is ankle deep in sawdust anyway! ??