Handle-less Remote Controlled Door Latch

iSelfBuild

Putting this out there to see if anyone knows of anything...

I have 5 sets of internal opening doors and the customer does not want a handle on the outside. There will be a lockable handle on the inside only.

However they want to be able to open the doors from the outside, locking isn't necessary from the outside as they are on a balcony.

Does anyone know a remote controlled solution for this?

14 minutes ago, iSelfBuild said:

customer does not want a handle on the outside. 

Why? If they want to open it from outside it needs a handle surely?

Toolstation sell an electric mortice release.

https://www.toolstation.com/electric-mortice-release/p33871?store=K1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAjwx_boBRA9EiwA4kIELut56idmCnJLD72M6AbtPcpr00BG5ymu2aBck7_ahMVTV8xCKgWfbRoCIwUQAvD_BwE

I can think of a few ways to use one of these to do what you want.

Push button on outside to unlock door. Switch or numeric keypad inside to lock it and disable outside button.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Temp said:

Some people don't have a handle on their front door , just a keyhole and the key works the bolt (no latch).

And that is how I took the skin of my knuckles the other day >:(

Does anyone do a door latch that can sense the MAC address of my phones Bluetooth.  That would be handy.

17 hours ago, Temp said:

Some people don't have a handle on their front door , just a keyhole and the key works the bolt (no latch).

Yup - our front door (RK Passive) is just a slab with a keyhole, fingerprint sensor and a bar for pulling it shut behind you.

Kids don't have keys, just their fingers on the door.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

And that is how I took the skin of my knuckles the other day >:(

Does anyone do a door latch that can sense the MAC address of my phones Bluetooth.  That would be handy. 

These look cool..

https://www.kwikset.com/kevo/default

The video doesn't tell you much. I assume it uses your phone to identify you when you touch the lock, or perhaps a blue tooth key fob?

Edited by Temp

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

Yup - our front door (RK Passive) is just a slab with a keyhole, fingerprint sensor and a bar for pulling it shut behind you.

Kids don't have keys, just their fingers on the door.

I'm guessing this isn't cheap?!

1 hour ago, Temp said:

One of my sons is into indoor climbing. His prints wear off and he has problems with the finger print recognition on his phone ?

I had the same issue when doing work on the paving. Had to upgrade the iPhone to an XR just for the face ID. 

That said, the sensor on the door is a lot better than the one on a phone - you need to slowly swipe the finger down across a horizontal sensor vs tap it on a whole finger sensor.

Now, a FaceID style IR 3d sensor for the door would be neat... 

19 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

No, the door was not cheap, not much change from £5k. However it is a very nice door. I keep reminding myself of that.

The technique is perhaps to buy a Limited Edition Philippe Stark Lemon Squeezer immediately beforehand :ph34r:.

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

The technique is perhaps to buy a Limited Edition Philippe Starck Lemon Squeezer immediately before ordering the locks :ph34r:.

But I reassure myself that I saved at least £50 by shopping around on hinges for the internal doors.

• Haha 1

I totally over thought this for opening the doors from the outside. I just need to fit ROTO balcony door latches.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Balcony-Patio-Latch-Handle-White/dp/B00ZVBZEUE

The doors I supply don't open by a spring loaded handle, you turn them from vertical to horizontal then it's immediately free to move. So this will be ideal and is standard technology anyway just never came across this before as I usually supply outward opening bi-folds.

Issue is that they want to be able to lock one of the doors from the outside and there is actually no possibility to fit the lock in the casing even if they wanted a handle on the outside. Sooooo I need to find the slimmest possible electronic door bolt or magnetic lock NOT latch which will lock the door when it's technically in the unlocked position ?

Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UHPPOTE-2000Kg-Holding-Secure-Electric/dp/B014SAC8DY/ref=asc_df_B014SAC8DY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=294828798446&hvpos=1o13&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16827562835441102281&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046715&hvtargid=pla-348976305533&psc=1

Or 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KKmoon-Password-Controller-Electric-Magnetic/dp/B01A47UQ84/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=electric+magnetic+door+lock&qid=1562340240&s=diy&sr=1-3