Ecology Building Society - application process and pricing

Conor

Anybody with first hand experience lately in regards to mortgage application process with Ecology BS? Roughly how long did it take from starting application to getting an offer? We're trying to time things right in regards to our planning coming through (est early August) and current residential mortgage expiring in October.

Also, what did you provide in terms of cost estimates? They have said to us either signed quotations from builders or "professional" cost estimates. We have a QS estimate but it's quite rough as it's based on planning drawings. Can I get my architect to sign off on our cost estimate? I've gotten part quotes and rough estimates from various suppliers, along with my own estimates using industry rates, and some of the QS figures, in a spreadsheet. We don't have the time to wait for the tendering process to get prices... We need to apply sooner.

Any other tips with them?

Thanks.

Edited by Conor

Ecology asked for bat surveys, and we were allowed an extension of a couple of months to allow time for more surveys. I assume it depends what they ask for. Our application took about 5 months from submission to decision. And the date for our 'to be started with 3 years' clause, was back dated to the date they should have given us a decision... Planners are a law unto themselves. Allow a few thousands for ecology, depending what they find.

Ecology is very important. Unless you are the council. In which case you can do what you like and net cliffs at the wrong time of year 

If you have another property with a mortgage, I would be tempted to borrow against that house again with a mortgage which doesn't have an early redemption penalty, rather than have the stress of trying to get a mortgage on your self build?

57 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Ecology asked for bat surveys, and we were allowed an extension of a couple of months to allow time for more surveys. I assume it depends what they ask for. Our application took about 5 months from submission to decision. And the date for our 'to be started with 3 years' clause, was back dated to the date they should have given us a decision... Planners are a law unto themselves. Allow a few thousands for ecology, depending what they find.

Ecology is very important. Unless you are the council. In which case you can do what you like and net cliffs at the wrong time of year 

If you have another property with a mortgage, I would be tempted to borrow against that house again with a mortgage which doesn't have an early redemption penalty, rather than have the stress of trying to get a mortgage on your self build?

Are you confusing Ecology building society with the work provided by your ecologist?

Back to the OP. If your QS estimates add up to a sensible sqm cost (£1450 -£ 2000 sqm) I am sure they will be fine. I did my own costings for Ecology BS but they were quite detailed with quotes for timber frame and most work estimated on rates. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 04/07/2019 at 11:21, Conor said:

Anybody with first hand experience lately in regards to mortgage application process with Ecology BS? Roughly how long did it take from starting application to getting an offer? We're trying to time things right in regards to our planning coming through (est early August) and current residential mortgage expiring in October.

Also, what did you provide in terms of cost estimates? They have said to us either signed quotations from builders or "professional" cost estimates. We have a QS estimate but it's quite rough as it's based on planning drawings. Can I get my architect to sign off on our cost estimate? I've gotten part quotes and rough estimates from various suppliers, along with my own estimates using industry rates, and some of the QS figures, in a spreadsheet. We don't have the time to wait for the tendering process to get prices... We need to apply sooner.

Any other tips with them?

Thanks.

Did you go ahead with the application with Ecology and if so how did you find it? Have been looking at Ecology also so any advice would be good. 

@darringo just started!

Documents went in a couple weeks ago. Following up on one or two missing documents at the minute.

So far experience has been positive. They are very thorough and detialed. They actually rang my coany to check that I work there... You get allocated a dedicated agent, so you have a direct line of communication.

Just now, Conor said:

@darringo just started!

Documents went in a couple weeks ago. Following up on one or two missing documents at the minute.

So far experience has been positive. They are very thorough and detialed. They actually rang my coany to check that I work there... You get allocated a dedicated agent, so you have a direct line of communication.

For the application process what all documentation did they require if you don't mind me asking?

1 minute ago, darringo said:

For the application process what all documentation did they require if you don't mind me asking?

For us, about an inch thick stack.

Latest CC statements.

3 month's pay slips

3 month's bank statements for all accounts

Proof of deposit

Detialed costing for project (combo of QS estimates, quotes, all signed off by architect)

Proof of address and identity (utility bills, passport)

Current mortgage balance and 2 years of original statements.

You'll find that will be universal for all mortgage companies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Conor said:

Latest CC statements.

3 month's pay slips

Proof of deposit

Detialed costing for project (combo of QS estimates, quotes, all signed off by architect)

Brilliant thanks. Did you have to provide any sort of proof of anticipated energy rating of the house for ecology? 

13 minutes ago, andy said:

Just been through this myself and they were excellent to deal with, we have a mortgage on the land only with release of funds as we need (no stages).  We provided anticipated EPC as part of this.

We had same experience - I used the FSAP tool and tweaked the model that @JSHarris developed ages ago - got it up to A easy enough and thats what we ultimately achieved. Also submitted a PHPP model (which we paid a consultant for as part of a QS / modelling package) which showed we were passive standard by design.

2 hours ago, darringo said:

Brilliant thanks. Did you have to provide any sort of proof of anticipated energy rating of the house for ecology? 

Yes, sorry, SAP. Min is B85.

I also wrote a project description - they want an idea of the overall project "eco" credentials. I focused on reuse of materials from the demolition, and my planned zero to landfill waste policy.

Edited by Conor

just gone through this, as above re SAP only major dif was the requirement for prices wasnt as bad as some; we had quotes for foundations, steels and main structure but didnt need any QS or anything signing by architect; just a detailed excel costing doc i produced

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 05/09/2019 at 12:40, Conor said:

Latest CC statements.

3 month's pay slips

Proof of deposit

Hi Conor,

I was looking at your post and appreciate all the information you gave in this article.

I was interested in using ecology building society for a mortgage.

I just wanted to ask when they done a credit check for you do you remember which credit reference agency they used? Experian, Trans Union or Equifax?

Thanks

Hi, any idea how long ecology take to approve an application? It's taken 3 weeks just to get a telephone appointment, I know all banks are slow but that seems a long time. I'm all ready to go and I just wondered the likely timescales if I have everything in place.

48 minutes ago, Wagas said:

Hi, any idea how long ecology take to approve an application? It's taken 3 weeks just to get a telephone appointment, I know all banks are slow but that seems a long time. I'm all ready to go and I just wondered the likely timescales if I have everything in place.

From getting them the paperwork to getting an offer was about 4 weeks. We then had another 6 or 7 weeks or so to get the final offer done and the money released but that because our solicitor was a bit slow with some of his bits.