Merchants and trade/credit accounts

Any recommendations and advice on engaging with merchants?

And do they credit check prior to opening accounts? I don't want to open several just now for the purpose of costings if it could jeopardise completing on a mortgage.

Thanks.

We did our take offs as soon as we got our plans and sent out to various bms for pricing, once we  were getting ready to start we were approached by a couple of them and we told them their prices were too high, one company sent in their rep who slashed their original quote and continued to do so through out the build even for things we had priced online, we opened a cash account with them so everything was paid before delivery and we were the only ones who could use the account 

4 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

We did our take offs as soon as we got our plans and sent out to various bms for pricing, once we  were getting ready to start we were approached by a couple of them and we told them their prices were too high, one company sent in their rep who slashed their original quote and continued to do so through out the build even for things we had priced online, we opened a cash account with them so everything was paid before delivery and we were the only ones who could use the account 

Hi

I will definitely get that contact from you though I think our local branch will be a few over from you. I'd quite like the credit option (which would definitely help with a few cashflow pinchpoints - e.g. ordering bricks before the revaluation and staged payment for having the shell up - so we're not waiting around for weeks while the shell gets battered by the wind and rain) but for the likes of plasterboard, paint and sundry items should be fine to pay in cash. In the first instance I'm just looking to cost items to provide a costings plan to the lender however. 

When you are ready

Dont make the mistake of putting all your eggs in one basket 

You will need several accounts 

It’s unusual that one BM will have the best prices on all 

10 hours ago, eandg said:

Hi

I will definitely get that contact from you though I think our local branch will be a few over from you. I'd quite like the credit option (which would definitely help with a few cashflow pinchpoints - e.g. ordering bricks before the revaluation and staged payment for having the shell up - so we're not waiting around for weeks while the shell gets battered by the wind and rain) but for the likes of plasterboard, paint and sundry items should be fine to pay in cash. In the first instance I'm just looking to cost items to provide a costings plan to the lender however. 

They will do credit accounts but it is only till the end of the month for the statement then 14, 21 or 28 days to pay so it's not a massive bridge.

If you need help with financing these things you may be better taking out a personal load or even better a 0% on first 60 days purchases card - but remember, this can be a slipperly slope particularly if it is this early on in a build.

The merchants will do stringent credit checks and it is not even them that do it, any organisation that offers credit now must protect themselves and to have the insurance needed etc. they all use a credit agency or third party credit checking business. Particularly in the building game where many unscrupulous cowboys run off with money and without paying bills it is now ever more difficult and often they won't give you credit till you have some history with them.

11 hours ago, eandg said:

And do they credit check prior to opening accounts? I don't want to open several just now for the purpose of costings if it could jeopardise completing on a mortgage.

Thanks.

There is a whole big thread to do with this kind of thing, also things like how to get an extra 10% off at Wickes in addition to the 10% on your Trade Account etc.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/426-creditdebit-reward-cards-discounts-etc/

It does not get the attention of the Weekly Offers thread as developments are slower.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

11 hours ago, eandg said:

Thanks.

The thing to check is whether they do a full credit check or a ‘soft’ check where there is no record of it.

Explanation of the type so far CC

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/

F