Community Infrastructure Levy

bmt216a

Hi, I’ve received a quote from an architect to put a full planning application in. I’ve recently been granted class q permitted development on a barn conversion but wish to build a house in its place instead under the fullback procedure. In the quote, the architect said I’m liable to pay about £6000 for the  community infrastructure levy. When looking into this, I was under the assumption if you can prove your going to live there once built, your exempt. Also two other friends of mine who selfbuilt said they never paid it but they come under a different council. The council I come under is Mid Devon.  

Thanks 

If it is a new and self build, you can apply for an exemption. The timing of all this is critical - read all the guidance on the appropriate council website (Mid Devon).

Now, because you have a Class Q, but now want to demolish (?) and build something in its place, it may not count as "new". Again, check the website, the guidance and it may even help to call them and speak with someone.

Assuming you qualify for an exemption (checking out the class Q aspect as above or change that to a demolition / new build) you have to follow the rules strictly to the letter as @ProDave says. If you miss a step or get it wrong the exemption can be cancelled. You have to apply for the exemption AND submit the commencement of work starting paperwork BEFORE you put a spade in the ground. If it qualifies for the exemption you also have to live there for 3 years after the completion certificate is issued, plus you have to evidence that it was a self build by providing a copy of your self build mortgage, a self build warranty or an approved HMRC VAT reclaim within 6 months of the completion certificate being issued. 

If you have PP to knock down the barn and build a new house to live in yourself you should be exempt from the CIL, but as others have said you MUST follow the exact sequence detailed on the forms or you can loose the exemption.

The rules on a conversion are not clear...

I wrote to my MP and had him check if the exemption applies to a conversion. I got a reply that didn't really answer the question. My feeling was the government were happy to leave this as a grey area up to individual councils/courts.

If your council decides conversions aren't eligible the calculation should deduct the area of existing buildings, so its only the increase in area that is charged and only if the new area is over 100sqm. So suppose you plan to convert a 200sqm barn to a 250sqm house. The new floor area is 250sqm which is more than 100sqm so CIL is payable but its only payable on the increase which is 250-200=50sqm. I know this will sound odd but it does appear to be the way councils are interpreting the >100sqm rule.

Edited by Temp

Thanks for the info and I’ll follow the advice! The barn would cover 500m2 which is way to big so we’re following the fall back process to build a house which will be about 280m2 so it will be smaller than the barn. 

Thanks again