Architects Role After Planning Permission

Good question. I will shortly be at this very stage.

In my case following planning permission, I am using a timber-frame company but my architect (a certified passive-house designer and timber-frame designer in her own right) will be preparing the building-regulation drawings and will draft some of the details that will not be covered by the timber-frame company. 

This is entirely up to you, at what point do you want to stop paying them? At what point do you think you won’t need them. 

We had a price north of £35 grand to hold our hand throughout the build, we paid just over £5 grand and got rid of them as they where of no use anymore. 

Its really down to how capable you are and if you need your project managing or your happy to go it alone. 

Depends on the architect and your build method. Getting him to do the building control drawing pack and getting it approved might be a reasonable minimum.

On the other hand you could also employ him to oversee the build making regular inspections during construction but it can get expensive. Typically they want a percentage of the finished build cost, so if you decide to go for a better kitchen you can end up paying another % to the architect even if he has no involvement with the kitchen design.

Edited by Temp