Project details

Personally I would not want all the living space in the same room as the kitchen. Kitchens are noisy places, living rooms should not be. Personal choice of course but one end of the room would be divided by a wall to make a cosy snug if it were mine.

I would want a gable end to give the upstairs bathroom more headroom, just like we have done:

render_10.thumb.jpg.28f9ecabf8686e98e67e16894afc4982.jpg

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Personally I would not want all the living space in the same room as the kitchen. Kitchens are noisy places, living rooms should not be. Personal choice of course but one end of the room would be divided by a wall to make a cosy snug if it were mine.

I would want a gable end to give the upstairs bathroom more headroom, just like we have done:

Hi Dave, yes a large separate living room is something I wanted for this reason but just could not fit it into the square footage. Thinking some extra quiet appliances and a good extractor will be worth splashing out on. A partial wall might be an idea though.... depending on the routes of foot traffic.

I like your idea of the gable for the upstairs bathroom also.... tbh something I had never considered. How much hassle would that be at this stage do you think? Do you have a 1 and a half story or 1 and three quarter?

Edited by selfbuildaberdeen

6 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Yes I’ve definitely seen one like it as I had considered it but that was a couple of years ago and I had every catalogue ever produced I think so can’t remember the details ?

sods law! We took quite a lot of inspiration from heb homes so possibly one of their designs

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, selfbuildaberdeen said:

Hi Dave, yes a large separate living room is something I wanted for this reason but just could not fit it into the square footage. Thinking some extra quiet appliances and a good extractor will be worth splashing out on. A partial wall might be an idea though.... depending on the routes of foot traffic.

I like your idea of the gable for the upstairs bathroom also.... tbh something I had never considered. How much hassle would that be at this stage do you think?

Something simple like a bifolding internal room partition so one end (with the stove?) can be closed off when you want quiet, but otherwise opened up.

Changing to the gable end would probably require revised planning and certainly a revision to the building warrant.  We also have 2 similar gable ends at the back to give more headroom to the 2 main bedrooms.  I much prefer our arrangement to ordinary dormers. I first saw it on the Isle of Skye where it seems more common.,

Just now, ProDave said:

Something simple like a bifolding internal room partition so one end (with the stove?) can be closed off when you want quiet, but otherwise opened up.

Changing to the gable end would probably require revised planning and certainly a revision to the building warrant.  We also have 2 similar gable ends at the back to give more headroom to the 2 main bedrooms.  I much prefer our arrangement to ordinary dormers. I first saw it on the Isle of Skye where it seems more common.,

Yeah I like it.... much better than the standard dormers like you say. Do you have a 1.5 or 1.75 story?

1 minute ago, selfbuildaberdeen said:

Yeah I like it.... much better than the standard dormers like you say. Do you have a 1.5 or 1.75 story?

That is subjective, the slope of the roof starts at the bottom of the windows, so a bit lower than yours I think.

Our last house had kitchen/dining/ family room all in one although we also had a separate lounge and a dining room but tbh we never used them apart from Xmas time so I wouldn’t worry about it, the fridge freezer and dishwasher we have now are so silent you never hear them, dishwasher in particular I forget I’ve got it on till the bleeper goes to say it’s finished!

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That is subjective, the slope of the roof starts at the bottom of the windows, so a bit lower than yours I think.

our walls are about 1m high prior to the coombe ceiling so actually not to bad. Think the only place its not is the master bedroom where we have built it out to 1.3m

1 minute ago, Christine Walker said:

Our last house had kitchen/dining/ family room all in one although we also had a separate lounge and a dining room but tbh we never used them apart from Xmas time so I wouldn’t worry about it, the fridge freezer and dishwasher we have now are so silent you never hear them, dishwasher in particular I forget I’ve got it on till the bleeper goes to say it’s finished!

Thats reassuring. Plan is to use the downstairs bedroom as a snug and separate downstairs shower room most of the time. We will prob spend most evenings in there.

If we need to use that downstairs room as a bedroom there will be a barn door at the bottom of the stairs which when closed will then section of the bedroom and shower room from the main hall to make it an ensuite.

Hopefully this works

2 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

the fridge freezer and dishwasher we have now are so silent you never hear them

Which fridge is that I wonder? I will be wanting to choose a quiet one for the combined open plan living room and kitchen in my new build. In my present place, the big American-style fridge freezer makes a right old racket.

• Like 1

I love that layout ..!! 

Get an ikea storage unit, whack 6 industrial castors on it, and use it as a moveable screen. 

And is that a pool table, or artistic licence by your architect ..??

Just now, PeterW said:

I love that layout ..!! 

Get an ikea storage unit, whack 6 industrial castors on it, and use it as a moveable screen. 

And is that a pool table, or artistic licence by your architect ..??

it is indeed a pool table. We intend to have a dining table top for it. That section of the room had to be 5x4m specifically for it to allow for playing space. Just got to find a way to protect all the glass ?

55 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Which fridge is that I wonder? I will be wanting to choose a quiet one for the combined open plan living room and kitchen in my new build. In my present place, the big American-style fridge freezer makes a right old racket.

It’s a Samsung French door fridge freezer , more or less totally silent,only time I’ve heard it is if I get up through the night and go into kitchen for a drink and you can hear a very faint noise from it when the house is totally silFF5B15D8-2E6E-45EC-9108-E763BFF4EFCD.thumb.png.b9b0d99fb5c53389c846b4c464ee57ea.pngent 

• Thanks 2

In shape, size and first floor layout it is very similar to the plans we have sketched (and are having drawn just now) so it goes without saying that I think it looks really good! Love the idea of sectioning off the snug/bedroom and downstairs shower room from the rest of the property - we also have a downstairs shower room and separate snug-cum-spare which I'll have a look at again to see if it's possible to section that off. First instinct is it might not be. 

7 hours ago, eandg said:

In shape, size and first floor layout it is very similar to the plans we have sketched (and are having drawn just now) so it goes without saying that I think it looks really good! Love the idea of sectioning off the snug/bedroom and downstairs shower room from the rest of the property - we also have a downstairs shower room and separate snug-cum-spare which I'll have a look at again to see if it's possible to section that off. First instinct is it might not be. 

Our plan is to do it with a sliding barn door so will hopefully be a nice feature when you first come in. There will also be another barn door into the larder to tie it together :) the small lobby area it makes could be classed as wasted space but i think for flexibility and in order to meet regs for access it was needed

8 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

Prehaps this is one other members were suggesting similarities with.

https://www.ruralhouse.co.uk/houses/r3/

Is your plan for a kit or will it be a bespoke project? 

Yes very similar indeed :)

It will be a scotframe kit made from our design. We looked at loads of different designs already out there but ended up changing them so much we might as well of just started from scratch.

9 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

Looks good, presented similarly to the R-house products I think so maybe that's what people are picking up on... you going for a blown cellulose insulation?

quite a big house, what are you hoping (or dreaming!) it's going to come back from tender at?

Yes had another look at R house and it is defiantly a website i came across all those moons ago when plans were first coming together. We struggled to find a layout with 3 bedrooms upstairs which all had easy access to each other. Only 2 beds upstairs is no use with young children. some of the heb homes had 3 beds upstairs but with 2 staircases so in the middle of the night it was down a flight, through the house, up another flight and into a kids bedroom which was technically right next door. 

It will be a closed timber kit and top hat trusses roughly 195m2 internally. Aiming for tender coming back around the 300k. That does not include chuckies on the drive, fencing, decorating, supply and fit kitchen/bathrooms, tiling..... we will supply/fit all that ourselves.  

QS has been on board from the start so im hoping his calcs are worth the money we have paid for them!

I have a similar layout living/dining/kitchen and really I cant say I've been bothered by noise etc.

I picked a low noise dishwasher, and extractor, and bobs your uncle.

I tend to put the dishwasher on before I go to bed, so I cant say it would be a problem anyway

10 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

I have a similar layout living/dining/kitchen and really I cant say I've been bothered by noise etc.

I picked a low noise dishwasher, and extractor, and bobs your uncle.

I tend to put the dishwasher on before I go to bed, so I cant say it would be a problem anyway

Good to hear other people are not bothered by it. Might find it a wee bit noisier with the kitchen being in the middle right next to the living area but we will see. Iv lived in 1 bed flats smaller than that open plan area so im hoping iam used to it ?