Help - can this door handle be converted? Pics included

Roz

So I bought a door handle for our bifold doors, I’ve never bought one before so didn’t think much about it. 

The bifolds have got multipoint locking on them so the handle needs to lift up as well as push down. But it only goes down. 

Anyone know if there’s a way to convert it?? It’s a heritage brass handle

6EFC71AD-588B-494D-8318-443C3A03B04E.jpeg

3D049788-B656-4215-B556-3F7796D3041C.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Roz said:

So I bought a door handle for our bifold doors, I’ve never bought one before so didn’t think much about it. 

The bifolds have got multipoint locking on them so the handle needs to lift up as well as push down. But it only goes down. 

Anyone know if there’s a way to convert it?? It’s a heritage brass handle

6EFC71AD-588B-494D-8318-443C3A03B04E.jpeg

3D049788-B656-4215-B556-3F7796D3041C.jpeg

If the square shaft which goes into the multipoint lock will be held in position by the lock mech itself then you can remove the stop plate, grind the stop lug off and refit without it also remove or modify the action of the spring. The handle will then go both ways but will have no integral position hold mechanism - but as I say, the lock mechs "home position" should hold the handle where you want it i.e. 9 or 3 o'clock position.

Many UPVC door handles just swing round and round when off the door and rely on the "home position" from the lock itself.

If not you would need to alter the stop plate and spring arrangement. 

In a word, yes it will be possible - but it comes down to a bit of luck or your ability to modify it.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

If the square shaft which goes into the multipoint lock will be held in position by the lock mech itself then you can remove the stop plate, grind the stop lug off and refit without it also remove or modify the action of the spring. The handle will then go both ways but will have no integral position hold mechanism - but as I say, the lock mechs "home position" should hold the handle where you want it i.e. 9 or 3 o'clock position.

Many UPVC door handles just swing round and round when off the door and rely on the "home position" from the lock itself.

If not you would need to alter the stop plate and spring arrangement. 

In a word, yes it will be possible - but it comes down to a bit of luck or your ability to modify it.

I’m going to try removing the stop plate etc and see what happens... thanks! 

When you remove the stop plate, replace it with a washer (or something similar) that is of equal thickness to the stop plate. It'll stop the handle "slopping about" (technical term ? )

BTW: Can you actually continue to use that handle as it appears to have an end date in the past? ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

When you remove the stop plate, replace it with a washer (or something similar) that is of equal thickness to the stop plate. It'll stop the handle "slopping about" (technical term ? )

BTW: Can you actually continue to use that handle as it appears to have an end date in the past? ?

I'd just use the stop plate with the lug ground/cut off as it will have a square hole in it and therefore be a decent fit and the correct thickness. 

40 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

? I should ask for my money back based on that! I’m sure it’s go down well 

well @BotusBuild and @Carrerahill thanks for the responses. I removed the innards and they seem to be sitting ok in the middle and they lift up now too. They sit a bit pointing downwards but, not too much I can do about that. Better than nothing! 

Im going to put the innards back in at some point (once modified or replaced) to stop any slipping around, but they seem to be sitting ok at the moment. Phew! 

Edited by Roz
  • Like 1

Just now, Temp said:

Might also be a problem with the spring. You may need to leave that off as well. 

Yes I left the spring out too, I couldn’t figure out what nuisance it would cause so tried it without and seems alright!