Loft boarding

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

Aren’t you supposed to be on holiday in Lubricious, with your Truss left at home?

Resting around the pool ‘thinking’ before my Tai Chi session ( yang style apparently) . Tbh a day never goes by ( even on holiday ) without me thinking about the build ...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

I read it was best to avoid the roof due to the associated cost and hassle ( I can’t do heights ) !

Is there a maximum length the air intake/out can be ? Or is it simply as short as possible???

I could pull two tiles and put these vents in quicker than you could get the core drill out to do the first hole....

If the intake / exhaust are going to be more than 1-2m then they need to be properly insulated.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

I could pull two tiles and put these vents in quicker than you could get the core drill out to do the first hole....

If the intake / exhaust are going to be more than 1-2m then they need to be properly insulated.

Oh I don’t suspect it’s a problem for a skilled man like you . But erm , heights - on a roof ?????????

If I attempted it would result in a post topic titled “I fell off my roof “

On 02/07/2019 at 13:15, pocster said:

Not 1 truss the same distance apart .

You may want to consider cross battening under the trusses with 25 x 50 or 38 x 50 at 400 ctrs for your plasterboard and your electrics.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Oh I don’t suspect it’s a problem for a skilled man like you . But erm , heights - on a roof ?????????

If I attempted it would result in a post topic titled “I fell off my roof “

Should've bought a secondhand scaffold tower...

/gloat

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

You may want to consider cross battening under the trusses with 25 x 50 or 38 x 50 at 400 ctrs for your plasterboard and your electrics.

The trusses as they are shouldn’t have plasterboard screwed to them ???

23 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

So can the mvhr vents go thru roof tiles? Do they have to be on sane elevation to prevent being unbalanced like Jeremy said his can be

Yes they can, and yes they need to be on the same side. 

8 hours ago, Oz07 said:

And did I read right in that the shorter these intake/extract intake pipes the less need for lagging/insulating? Note @pocster has a warm roof type setup but i'm asking for future reference

Yep I do have a warm roof so I am hoping length of in/out pipes is less critical.

Oops - I’ve accidentally attached something! ?

8 hours ago, Oz07 said:

And did I read right in that the shorter these intake/extract intake pipes the less need for lagging/insulating? Note @pocster has a warm roof type setup but i'm asking for future reference

Nope - insulate them properly all times as it’s about condensation risk. Also worth tilting them down slightly toward the outside so they self drain. 

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Nope - insulate them properly all times as it’s about condensation risk. Also worth tilting them down slightly toward the outside so they self drain. 

Is it correct that this is to do with condensation on the outside of the ducts, not the inside. as in winter the runs to and from the external terminals will be cooler than the indoor temperature?

Just now, Mr Punter said:

Is it correct that this is to do with condensation on the outside of the ducts, not the inside. as in winter the runs to and from the external terminals will be cooler than the indoor temperature?

Yes.  The problem is that the humidity inside the house may well be higher than that outside, so the cold duct may attract condensation on the outside surface.

• 2 weeks later...

Right !

Have decided mvhr vents will be through the roof - much simpler as i’ll Get someone else to do it ?

Still can’t work out how to board this and have good access to mvhr unit and header tank . Assume placing the tank specifically over the wall stud as it gets more support . Guess I just go for it and see what happens .

1AFC01E0-BF1A-45DB-918B-35E4B10BBCBF.jpeg

DD8EC172-27FB-4900-AE72-2464166DCF86.jpeg

4DED0539-D598-4DFC-AB88-0CE6F63B8C0B.jpeg

6 hours ago, pocster said:

Have decided mvhr vents will be through the roof - much simpler as i’ll Get someone else to do it ?

Got a couple of nice Timloc vents that have the

required flow rate that I can let you have for a reasonable price ... ? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Got a couple of nice Timloc vents that have the

required flow rate that I can let you have for a reasonable price ... ? 

Thanks but my vents have been ordered with the mvhr and kit.