New to the forums

chr15athome

I have signed up to the forum to do some research into building our own home. 

One thing we have struggled with most of all figuring out how much the house will cost to build with the few opportunities we have had. By the time we have had rough prices the land has been purchased. 

We are looking in the Leeds area. 

Thanks

Chris

Thanks for you comment. 

Would I use total floor area for the plot size for this calc. Assuming total?

I will be doing most of the interior work apart from the flooring or plastering. 

I plane on self managing the work I won't be doing. 

Someone who we know nearby built a family big 2500 sq ft house and they were water tight for 65k. 

I'll see if I can dig out a couple of pictures of things we like to make sure I am not adding cost by making the build too complex. 

Thanks 

Chris

55 minutes ago, chr15athome said:

You would use the GIA - gross internal floor area - of your house. That is the dimensions inside the external walls, but includes all habitable floors,

Though the tolerances on this calculation will be so huge depending on circumstances that it is really a very wide ballpark figure.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, chr15athome said:

[...]

[...]

A very important and perceptive question to ask.....

I am almost sure that the area definition for this calculation is based on what  the RICS  call Gross Internal Area. But I may be wrong.

Broad indications of cost assume that  4ukUps don't occur. The sources of those, as you will know are legion. 

You'll also find some online build costs calculators that are pure fiction. The Jewson one comes to mind:

2 storey, 200 m2, built in Scotland to a "good" standard using a single main contractor = £197,400

31 minutes ago, Ralph said:

You'll also find some online build costs calculators that are pure fiction. The Jewson one comes to mind:

2 storey, 200 m2, built in Scotland to a "good" standard using a single main contractor = £197,400

It says:

"The results displayed are based on the Homebuilding & Renovating Build Cost Calculator."

https://www.jewson.co.uk/working-with-you/for-self-builders/preliminary-planning/calculators/build-cost-calculator/

Not sure of the significance of that.

I tend to use the calculators at whatprice.co.uk.

F

Thank you for your comments guys sorry I was busy yesterday. 

It looks like I am best probably adding 10% to the total floor area to be safe. 

I couldn't find the images I was going to post but will if I can find again. I added a quick rough phone sketch of the rough roof type. 

Thanks for all your help guys so far. 

IMG_20190703_095511.jpg