Show me your installation!

33 minutes ago, worldwidewebs said:

Would anyone be so kind as to post up a photo showing their MVHR installation? I'm trying to visualise how much space I'll need to allow for the unit, distribution boxes and ducting so that I know how much space I have left over for everything else. Thanks in advance :) 

I'll dig out a few pics and post them up. There have been quite a few posts already on this but the pinch point will be where the flex ducts come back to the distribution boxes - I had a 14 port intake and same for extract and it was very busy - there really was only one place (plant room ceiling) where they could go and also the 180mm duct would not go very far beyond the plant room either.

The min bend radius of the flexi ducts can become the key restriction in getting multiple ducts to a given location once they start to overlap, it gets more and more challenging to get the next pipe in. 

Every MVHR installation should have a swear box, will soon help pay for the build.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

That is at the top of our linen cupboard which is 1270 x 870.  We have a vaulted ceiling so it's taking up the top 1000 or so

The other manifold is hidden behind the stuff I have packed round them and is on the side wall.

If you need tonyou can squeeze them in quite a small space...

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, all most useful!

@jamiehamy Yours is probably closest to what we have - I think we have something like 10 extract and 14 supply ducts, all coming out of between ceiling and wall. The challenge I have is that if I mount the distribution box on the wall horizontally then I struggle to get the ones underneath to connect neatly and if I mount it vertically or on the ceiling then I get many pipes trying to cross over each other. A day of 'playing'awaits! :D 

4 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

Thanks chaps, all most useful!

@jamiehamy Yours is probably closest to what we have - I think we have something like 10 extract and 14 supply ducts, all coming out of between ceiling and wall. The challenge I have is that if I mount the distribution box on the wall horizontally then I struggle to get the ones underneath to connect neatly and if I mount it vertically or on the ceiling then I get many pipes trying to cross over each other. A day of 'playing'awaits! :D 

Yup, I disconnected and reconnected mine quite a few times before being happy. 

My tip is not to cut the ducts too tight to the distribution box initially but when you're happy with the final arrangement, do get them in tight as excess duct will push your box out, especially if you have them coming in both sides.

• 7 months later...

Just seen this thread, very useful as I'm currently going through the same MVHR location decision process.

Can I ask if anyone has installed their MVHR either above or next to a bedroom and is the noise intrusive?  Of our two location choices option1 is in an attic space created above our bedroom en-suite. The rest of the house has vaulted ceilings but we've dropped it here for storage or potentially MVHR. If I can sound proof it adequately from the bedroom it would be my first choice leaving more room in option2 for plumbing/HW cylinder which would be very useful. BPC have provisionally quoted for an Xpelair Natural Air 180 to give an idea of unit size.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Mine wasn't done when this thread was new, but it is now.

mvhr13.thumb.jpg.eed02315748089b960c73d3bd778192d.jpg

mvhr14.thumb.jpg.6da4b862802b6fa926fb4b9afa5a222f.jpg

is that the highest element in the system or is something taller out of shot? We have limited headroom in our proposed space but this looks like it would work fine assuming nothing taller out of sight.

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

Not seen this thread before but I have installed mine in a warm loft, hung from the roof on rubber mounts so no noise should track down onto bedrooms.

sounds like a possibility headroom permitting. Are they MVHR specific mounts or ones that had just happen to do the job? I've seen a few suggestions of hanging from bungee but longevity sounds an issue.

I used a wooden structure hanging from  the roof but unit actually mounted on rubber mounts bought from ebay. Note the home made manifold / silencer on top made from ply and accoustic foam. My unit is larger than most , another ex Kingspan unit bought on Ebay.

01783252-BDB0-441D-B3A8-0BDF26DED2AF.jpeg

6A189F8B-6765-4A28-8EAE-3B910FBCF952.jpeg

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, bissoejosh said:

Just seen this thread, very useful as I'm currently going through the same MVHR location decision process.

Can I ask if anyone has installed their MVHR either above or next to a bedroom and is the noise intrusive?  Of our two location choices option1 is in an attic space created above our bedroom en-suite. The rest of the house has vaulted ceilings but we've dropped it here for storage or potentially MVHR. If I can sound proof it adequately from the bedroom it would be my first choice leaving more room in option2 for plumbing/HW cylinder which would be very useful. BPC have provisionally quoted for an Xpelair Natural Air 180 to give an idea of unit size.

Thanks

Ours is in a room next to a bedroom - can't hear a thing, in normal background ventilation mode these things are near enough silent.  You can just hear it if you put your ear to the casing, but that's about it.

The noise does increase slightly in boost mode, but it's unlikely that the thing would be in boost mode when anyone's sleeping.

I was overly concerned about noise, so opted to line the inside walls of the service area with acoustic foam, the "egg box" stuff.  I really needn't have bothered, as it turned out the noise was a lot less that I expected.

4 hours ago, bissoejosh said:

is that the highest element in the system or is something taller out of shot? We have limited headroom in our proposed space but this looks like it would work fine assuming nothing taller out of sight.

That's the highest bit in the plant room. I only set the mvhr unit that high off the floor so it matched the inlet and outlet vent levels, and that was an arbitrary decision when cladding and rendering the house. It sits on a stack of offcuts of wood fibre board thinking that would make a good anti vibration mount.

The two distribution plenums are on the floor. From there the pipes run up or down in a service riser, some to the loft for the upstairs rooms and some in the first floor void for the downstairs rooms.

The plant room will eventually double as a workshop, and I will floor over above the mvhr unit to make a storage platform.

I  attach a photo of the supply and extract distribution plenums and supply silencer installed  in a service cupboard, which is located one of the 1st Floor bedrooms. This is remote from the MVHR unit. which is located in a Ground Floor Plant Room.  There is no issue with noise from the plenums.

P1050409.JPG

• Like 1

Noise. I can hear mine running around the house. So at night it goes down to just trickle, we have the windows open any way, then at 5am comes back up to normal mode. Which is handy as I know roughly the time of day without needing to open my eyes and look at phone etc. When it is parge mode (ie 100% power, that I use for extracting paint fumes etc) it is more noticeable but not really terrible.