Is it me?

Am I correct in thinking that the architect plans submitted to the planning department for reserved matters should really show the windows where I would like the windows to be - rather than just putting them in where he has. 

Obviously if there are building constraints then that's fine but when I tried to explain where I wanted them initially he told me it didn't matter yet. 

I'm concerned that it does matter. 

There's already been some long delays - not all due to him but the recent 24 day one was.  He's also added an external wall to be clad in larch which hasn't been discussed or even mentioned. 

Perhaps I'm wrong [hopefully!] and I can just decide to relocate Velux windows and others once the planning has been approved but it all seems a bit odd to me. 

I'm glad we didn't use an architect as this sort of thing just serves to reinforce my opinion that, too often, they seem to want you to have what they want, rather than what you want.

And if he's omitted a window to the front of the property and the drawings get approved then you may well have to submit a revised application (rather than NMA) as adding it back in will change the 'street scene' view of the property.

10 hours ago, simplepimple said:

[...]

I'm concerned that it does matter. 

[...]

Attention to detail - and the sheer drudge and hard work of following it up - is , for me, the essence of self build.

There is nothing to be lost by insisting he ( I assume its a he - I bet a woman would have followed through on your request long ago) just bloody do it. Now.

I had this too, with a first architect. 'Oh we can change that later' when I queried anything. Yes, we can, but first a 'variation of condition, at £250 and 8 weeks delay, and then probably still need a 'Non Material Amendment' NME, much cheaper, only about £30, but still a pain. Depends on the detail and circumstances.