Cable marking

Need to start thinking how I’m going to label my trillions of cat 6 cables .

Need a reliable way - not stickers .

Been looking at

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/23298.html

or

https://cpc.farnell.com/hellermanntyton/w3-270-cc/cable-marker-cc-snap-on-500-box/dp/CB18314?mckv=sgFjgsKVa_dm|pcrid|224645119674|kword||match||plid||slid||product|CB18314|pgrid|52698577371|ptaid|pla-583456645642|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjtKZ2M-R4wIVRxDTCh2-ugV1EAQYASABEgJCa_D_BwE

This the right way to go ? . Expensive for plastic numbers ! But hey ho ! 

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

Need to start thinking how I’m going to label my trillions of cat 6 cables .

Need a reliable way - not stickers .

Been looking at

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/23298.html

or

https://cpc.farnell.com/hellermanntyton/w3-270-cc/cable-marker-cc-snap-on-500-box/dp/CB18314?mckv=sgFjgsKVa_dm|pcrid|224645119674|kword||match||plid||slid||product|CB18314|pgrid|52698577371|ptaid|pla-583456645642|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjtKZ2M-R4wIVRxDTCh2-ugV1EAQYASABEgJCa_D_BwE

This the right way to go ? . Expensive for plastic numbers ! But hey ho ! 

My next question would be what numbering/lettering systems do people use to avoid f’ups later on ! ??

11 hours ago, MJNewton said:

I am fastidious when it comes to marking up cables (and pipes), but I just use a fine-tipped permanent marker (Staedtler 318-9) and haven't found a need to go beyond this.

Yeah I was just worried about rubbing off , label being torn or ( most probably ) being unable to read my own writing!!

Might punt on one from a company with a returns policy . Something tells me i’ll Be labelling a lot of things . I reckon i’ll have at least 60 cat6 cables - that’s ignoring all the things I haven’t thought of yet !

Just now, Onoff said:

Not much that Cable Craft don't do:

www.cablecraft.co.uk

Yeah I looked at their website .

Was interested in what everyone else used and naming convention; I was thinking ...

e.g -1/Bedf/light1

so -1 is floor ( -1 below ground for me ?) , Bedf - bedroom front , then of course light1

0/1/2 for floors

BD - Bed

L01 etc

all fits in 6 characters. Use different colour wheels too so you can see all the yellows are floor 0 etc without turning them round. 

OCD..?? Yep..!!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Dymo Rhino printer, with Flexible Nylon 19mm tape.

When the machine is set to wrap, it prints the text longways multiple times, so it can always be seen.  Once the tape is stuck, a few hours later its a fight to remove it.

It also has modes for printing entire patch panels / consumer units with proper spacing.

Costs a lot, but I borrow the work one :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phatboy said:

I use a Dymo Rhino printer, with Flexible Nylon 19mm tape.

When the machine is set to wrap, it prints the text longways multiple times, so it can always be seen.  Once the tape is stuck, a few hours later its a fight to remove it.

It also has modes for printing entire patch panels / consumer units with proper spacing.

Costs a lot, but I borrow the work one :)

Yeah they do look excellent; might go for one of those !

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Ordered ?

I'm excited for you... it will change your cable labelling life for ever!

I also got a 9mm vinyl roll of tape, which is nice for marking faceplates that don't have an obvious purpose.

They also do heat shrink you can put through it ?

• Like 1