Cost of a cube

eandg

I'm currently looking at an ICF quote which assumes a concrete cost of £121/m3 and an additional £865 per pump. A quick look on google suggests these are at the higher end of what the costs perhaps should be though some of the sources are dated. What's the 'real life' cost of concrete for slab (and potentially for ICF walls) just now?

18 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

£80 ish per cube plus £500 for the 24m pump. 

'Course the real costs depends how many - and of the volume - of bursts you suffer dunnit ? ? 

Indeed, thanks.

16 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Concrete is easy to find, it’s the pump guy with icf knowledge that you want, if they have never done an icf pump job, don’t use them. 

This is something you definitely want by recommendation, not the local smash it and run crew. 

Sage advice I'm sure!

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

Any of you have waterproof admix? if so, what % increase did that make? I'm looking at ~40% - gulp

Yes and it is a crazy price once you have a special mix. Even more if you want it signed off by Sika or whoever. I would say voids and honeycombing are more of a risk as normal concrete, especially if it has a low water:cement ratio, is fairly waterproof anyway.

For quality concrete, specify correctly, don't let the pump guy or concrete lorry driver bully you into adding water and let the batching plant know you will be doing cube tests.

• Like 1

They do try and bully you into adding water nearly had an argument on last job. Was being pumped as well. I'm sure less reputable firms do it because they know their mix probably isn't up to scratch anyway, so they want you to add water so you sign the disclaimer.

• Like 1

Who is supplying pokers? You need at least two incase one fails. 

We have a Sika warrantied system on out basement - used traditional shuttering, not ICF as I wanted to see the quality of the pour and I applied the insulation to the exterior after (just 200mm blocks of EPS70 stuck on with LE foam).

The Sika system also includes waterbar between pours and sealing of penetrations (including through bolts to hold the shuttering, don't think ICF needs those).

Has an inspection regime to get the warranty so not a cheap option but for me it was the only waterproofing method so wanted it done properly.

Why do you need waterproofing - is part of the pour underground? Where is the water table?

15 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Why do you need waterproofing - is part of the pour underground? Where is the water table?

Building down a hill so lower 2 floors have their backs in the ground and sides partially. Water table is not a problem and ground is mainly compressed sand/sandstone so drains well apparently - consequently not especially concerned about water penetration but planning on a warrantied solution (likely Triton) to provide some assurance to a future owner as may not live here for 10 years. 

1 hour ago, Adam2 said:

Building down a hill so lower 2 floors have their backs in the ground and sides partially. Water table is not a problem and ground is mainly compressed sand/sandstone so drains well apparently - consequently not especially concerned about water penetration but planning on a warrantied solution (likely Triton) to provide some assurance to a future owner as may not live here for 10 years. 

Our basement was mostly in river gravel on chalk so equally well draining, water table 2m below us.

In addition to the Sika concrete, we put a land drain at the foot of the slab, draining to a soakaway, and backfilled the 1m working gap with clean, fist sized, stone  - essentially building a giant french drain.

We have a section of concrete that forms the box for the external basement stairs and it is in standard concrete as it's exposed to the elements and is decoupled from the basement structure itself so i can compare the pricing.

Looking at the pricing we got in 2015, the Sika concrete had a supply & place cost of £200/m3 compared to the standard which was £120/m3 - this includes all the labour costs for the pour etc so in our case it was about 60% more but that includes all the tapes, mastic, plugs, prep & Sika inspections etc.

There's also contractor margin in those prices too.

• Thanks 1

On 30/06/2019 at 19:38, epsilonGreedy said:

Small load of 5 m3 delivered for my garage concrete floor slab last week at £84 + VAT + extra for fibres and no charge for "air" on part loads between 4 m3 and an 8 m3 full load.

This was in mid Lincolnshire,.

Did you use fibres instead of rebar or as well as .

50 minutes ago, Danny68 said:

Did you use fibres instead of rebar or as well as .

Just fibres, no rebar.

There was some confusing advice offered in prior threads on this forum, my advise is that if the concrete slab needs extra strength hen rebar is the solution. Metal fibres are a fringe solution and not applicable in a garage floor slab, plastic fibres offer marginal reinforcement with perhaps some resistance to surface cracking.

In the end other factors nudged me towards a thicker than usual floor slab, the pour was about 80% thicker than standard.

• Like 1