Plastering alternatives

Patrick

Inspired by @AnonymousBosch
recent topic about Plywood wall covering, I was looking into alternative wall coverings on Buildhub but couldn't find much. Maybe that's because it doesnt make sense or maybe that s just because there is nothing.

would still be interesting to hear what people researched themselves.

so far there is the obvious ones:

- plasterboard and skim

(the preferred option up and down the country)

-plasterboard and tape joints

(the quicker /cheaper alternative that possibly looks cheaper - see other threads to this topic)

- plywood covering

(seems to be a bit of a problem for BC fire safety-needs separate fire proofing? )

-timber internal cladding

(various types available, same fire safety problems than plywood)

Please add whatever you found out and used or did not use (at the end, what reason stopped you? )

59 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Inspired by @AnonymousBosch
recent topic about Plywood wall covering, I was looking into alternative wall coverings on Buildhub but couldn't find much. Maybe that's because it doesnt make sense or maybe that s just because there is nothing.

would still be interesting to hear what people researched themselves.

so far there is the obvious ones:

- plasterboard and skim

(the preferred option up and down the country)

-plasterboard and tape joints

(the quicker /cheaper alternative that possibly looks cheaper - see other threads to this topic)

- plywood covering

(seems to be a bit of a problem for BC fire safety-needs separate fire proofing? )

-timber internal cladding

(various types available, same fire safety problems than plywood)

Please add whatever you found out and used or did not use (at the end, what reason stopped you? )

Venetian plaster looks the mutts nuts but is an artform. @PeterStarck's is lovely.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Patrick said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hardie_Industries

The manufacturer makes a trustworthy impression. I would buy a new "killer product" from them any time. ???

You’ve got the wrong product there ..!!

Fermacell was made by Xella, it’s a mix of gypsum and recycled newspaper. They were bought out by James Hardie last year. 

Superb product and I’d use it again but it’s hard on tools. 

Hmmm. Trying to think of things.

In my house I only have plasterboard and brick and tiles ie the raw material.

I wonder about some of these materials used for facades and for 'sharp' modern houses - various glass things, but also for example the 'hang on' white terracotta tile system used in the GD "Thames House" design in S12 Ep 4 where they replaced a boathouse and upset all the neighbours. I recall it was very pricey but sharp and maintenance free. 

I have occasionally considered using external (poss. self-coloured) render where appropriate.

I have also seen checker-plate used (eg for splashback) or copper sheet (which I think rather nuts bearing in mind copper and fingerprints).

There are also tiles simulating other things which my BM has been shouting about eg simulating those walls made from chunks of slate to give the idea of a cliff face / slate mine.

And of course concrete.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I have often wondered by melamine faced ply is not used.  We are happy to use it in bathrooms, and our kitchens tops are covered in the same stuff.

It is easy to put together and can be easily filled painted over.

I suppose Conti-Board gave it a bad name.

Edited by SteamyTea

A bit industrial/institutional but very hard wearing and easy to clean/scrub - ply covered with flooring vinyl.

In corridors, in schools I’ve worked in, it has been taken up to waist height.  Scuff marks can be just scrubbed off and they can’t dent it or make holes in it (without damaging themselves quite badly).  

One school did panel out the mobile classrooms with ply after a “scuffle” ended with a hole in the plasterboard between a corridor and classroom.   The moment they realised just how flimsy these 30 year old mobiles were, more holes were only a matter of time.  The ply sorted it out.

Not really a finish, but there is concrete. In our basement level, I'm going to make the supporting walls shuttered concrete. Mostly for speed (external walls ICF) but also because it means I can have walls that will have an acceptable finish. I'm really not into the whole industrial look... But will give it a go for the basement. I will be using different textured forms, dyes etc to get different effects. 

And it it looks dung, can always cover or skim.

Edited by Conor

10 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Folks, the issue isn't the plaster or other labour-intensive covering system.

Its the price of local labour : day rates appear to be well over £200 generally here.  (West Lancs)

Same here on labour.....criminal isn’t it! When it all slows down they will be begging self builders for work at £150 a day

11 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Folks, the issue isn't the plaster or other labour-intensive covering system.

Its the price of local labour : day rates appear to be well over £200 generally here.  (West Lancs)

True. But other systems might be more diy friendly even though that might still end up in similar costs due to the higher price in material.

38 minutes ago, Patrick said:

True. But other systems might be more diy friendly even though that might still end up in similar costs due to the higher price in material.

That is my thinking about the melamine faced ply. I am good at cutting wood with a saw, can put mistakes rights with filler, an angle grinder and a palm sander.

But I know I am hopeless with a trowel and spreader. Tried plastering 3 times, then got the professionals in. Cost me a lot more as they had to hack of the shit I had put up, and down, and sideways. 

Plastering is a foul job.

Edited by SteamyTea

Two further thoughts then work. Both of these are more to go on painted raw plasterboard.

My previous house had a wall done with gold coloured flock, which was interesting.

There is nothing stopping anyone using a custom printed advertising billboard poster, which are either robust internally or weather resistant. The prices seem to be quite competitive - though often subbed as part of a package - but anything between a few £ per sqm and £20 per sqm seems to be the ballpark. Lots of potential. Could even print it with a William Morris wallpaper design or a selfie.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

@AnonymousBosch be careful you don’t spoil your house for a few £’s....... all that rubbish stuff on walls in pictures on internet is just that...rubbish.  

Your walls are your canvas and have a big impact on your finished home.  Personally I am not a fan of the ply wall finish but can look ok if done well.........why not just plasterboard and tape as mass market builders do, you can always skim later if required and when labour costs drop. Its the skim work that costs the most bucks,

If you want a nice plastered finish why not tape and joint it, my last house was like this and the new one will be also

far easier to get a better desired finish than poor skimming 

finish plaster is not good for sanding and touching up , whereas the new breed of fine top coat board finishes are designed for sanding. 

The days of seeing taped joints is long gone as long as you know what level of finish you want. 

2 hours ago, lizzie said:

Same here on labour.....criminal isn’t it![...]

I don't begrudge anyone their pay: but at that pay rate (using SPONS as a guide), people who want to work for us need to tell us why : experience, speed, one-job-at-a time. 

The kicker for us is the statement 'Well, we'll just fit you in between jobs' . Been there, got that T shirt in spectacular fashion. 

(wall blew down - contractor absented himself for 5 weeks: no notice.)

We'll just have to fit you in is  code for Yer on our list, but last ...  mate

19 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

But that won’t work if you put up battens and plywood, you are still going to have to air seal it. 

On an external wall; thin coat (3 - 5 mm)  of plaster + battens + tape + ply. On an internal wall fix battens to concrete and fix ply to that. 

The thing that is exercising my imagination is how to balance the amount of ply with the Fire Reg requirements.

Someone mentioned the threshold for the Fire Regs is a wall area  > 50% of the floor area. The Devil will be - as usual - in the detail.