Harvey Water Softener -- Annual maintenance

TerryE

We've had our twin cylinder Harvey 2 water softener in commission for coming up to 2 years and I haven't done much apart from change the salt blocks as required, yet I've noticed that there is now a definite asymmetry: the left block seems to get consumed at roughly 1½× the rate of the right one and I am getting salt crusting on the sides of the salt-block slots.  I just feel that it could do with being taken outside and my giving the whole thing a good hose down and make sure that no small orifices are blocked.

I was just wondering if any other members with these do any form of annual maintenance.  @JSHarris, @jack, etc.?

Edited by TerryE

@TerryE I've had several of the block salt softeners over the years and never carried out any maintenance. I did have a leak on my Harveys the other day and a technician replaced a valve and a push fit connector. He said they are expected to last ten years without maintenance.

Edited by PeterStarck

10 hours ago, TerryE said:

I was just wondering if any other members with these do any form of annual maintenance.  @JSHarris, @jack, etc.?

I thought they were maintenance-free, but I can't recall why I have that belief.

The left block on ours does seem to get consumed a little faster, but only by 5-20%  (it varies).

We moved our Twintec from the old house so, in total, it's been in use for over 10 years. The guts of it were replaced within the first 2 or 3 years (factory recall due to a faulty batch) and we did have it serviced between removal and reinstall (I think they replaced a couple of seals). We get a bit of salt crusting on the inside faces of the block housings (which I just scrape off) and the blocks have always been consumed at slightly different rates (circa 20%), but otherwise I don't touch it.

On 27/06/2019 at 21:42, TerryE said:

We've had our twin cylinder Harvey 2 water softener in commission for coming up to 2 years and I haven't done much apart from change the salt blocks as required, yet I've noticed that there is now a definite asymmetry: the left block seems to get consumed at roughly 1½× the rate of the right one and I am getting salt crusting on the sides of the salt-block slots.  I just feel that it could do with being taken outside and my giving the whole thing a good hose down and make sure that no small orifices are blocked.

Sounds very like ours, the left block always gets used faster than the right block.  We also get a little bit of salt crusting around the lower edge of the lid, often after we've been away and there hasn't been any water use.

I've not done anything other than changed the salt blocks on ours.