Hello :)

Leeds21

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at a house with a potential building plot.

I was hoping to suss out the potential for planning with the planning office but they now charge £180 and there is no scope to discuss with them any detail of 

the application or suggest alternative plans. Alternative designs require new applications etc. i.e. I'd build 2 houses not one if allowed as the price of the site is such it might be the only economical route! I'll make max use of the plot on my initial application and assume if that gets accepted its "possible" lesser houses will be accepted.

I've heard actual planning permission applications are prioritised and the above isn't binding anyway so pretty much worthless. At least still holds the same level of risk

as if I bought blind.

Also the process is so long she'd prob just sell in the meantime to someone happy enough to just go ahead without the planning, renovate the house and see about planning 

down the line. Prob is the price seems to account for planning already in place when it isnt. And because some agent has convinced her shes about to live in Hawaii on the back

of this, realistic offers will probably get laughed at, ironically.

I just wanted a quick conversation but they want site plan layout plans submitted with the payment for £180. I have not even thought about the designs this

seems like yet more expense on my part without even knowing if I'll get the land. Who could do the site layout plans

and mock up some designs for me? Seems like they need to be detailed showing existing trees and accurate positions of surrounding buildings etc....

The seller says they had planning 15 years ago but it elapsed. Don't see anything online perhaps because of the time?

Sorry for the newbie approach and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Hi and welcome. I'm nit sure what you are asking, so a couple of thoughts from me.

Look at planning application in the last 5-10 years online - this will give you a feel for the type of applications, what was accepted and what was rejected. Our council removes some content from the portal after a period (I think approx 1 year) e.g. comments from public. Some of this should be available if you pop into your planning office.

Talk to neighbours too and gt a feel for what they may think - some may remember the old application.

57 minutes ago, Leeds21 said:

The seller says they had planning 15 years ago but it elapsed. Don't see anything online perhaps because of the time?

Again should be available to see at the planning office. Our council seem to have rolled back and put skeleton info of old applications online, but each council is probably different.

what you are looking for at this stage is planning permission in principle ?

will what you want be possible if you comply with any restrictions they impose ?

If so then maybe the £180 is well worth spending -its a nothing in the scale of things ,

but that will not get you planning permission of any kind , its a conversation ,but if its a definite NO for second house you should get that 

so go along with a site plan showing boundaries and roughly drawn out plan and views of what you would like--2/3 or 4 beds  etc +drive and parking for 2+cars off the street 

and you will at least get -- a verbal yes or no   in principle.

have you got full plans of this plot and any underground services that might be crossing it  to other properties ?

,you can always get permission to replace an old house and rebuild it  with   one of  the same size footprint at least   

and within the ground you have.providing its not too close to neighbours etc ,

so is it if they will accept another house on same plot which is your main worry ?

would that not be enough to help you decide to buy plot ,then start the LONG process of getting plans drawn up 

If the seller is saying lapsed planning --then do they have the planning application no.?

Edited by scottishjohn

44 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

Hi and welcome. I'm nit sure what you are asking, so a couple of thoughts from me.

Look at planning application in the last 5-10 years online - this will give you a feel for the type of applications, what was accepted and what was rejected. Our council removes some content from the portal after a period (I think approx 1 year) e.g. comments from public. Some of this should be available if you pop into your planning office.

Talk to neighbours too and gt a feel for what they may think - some may remember the old application.

Again should be available to see at the planning office. Our council seem to have rolled back and put skeleton info of old applications online, but each council is probably different.

Hi Thanks, I'm always very cautious of talking to neighbours in a village about plans. Within a day you've basically invited 20 plus people to get involved ha.

I even had a friend who was buying a plot from a neighbour get an architect involved and the neighbour was approached separately by someone

within the architect's office with a higher price ha! If you own the property ok but risky enough if you don't.

There is a private road at the back of the plot which I would want to use as the main access point in and out for the new dwelling

to maximise the plot. So the neighbours are going to have to know my plans anyway I guess.

It's just whether I have the plot owner in some kind of lock-in agreement (with me) first before I approach them. 

The planning they had was for the side garden I think I will try and verify if this is true. Thanks for your advice much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

51 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

FOI the entire planning file for that address, or the earlier time period, specify that PDF by email is acceptable, and you may get the whole lot surprisingly quickly.

Though they may try and charge you as it is old, or argue that since there is a scheme to access is at reasonable cost then they are entitled to divert you into that scheme.

Or just make an appointment to inspect the file at the office, which is your basic right. Take an iPaD to make notes and use the opportunity to take piccies of the docs if it comes. Angled piccies followed by an image stretch program works quite well

Ferdinand 

• Like 1

There is a private road at the back of the plot which I would want to use as the main access point in and out for the new dwelling

That looks potentially tricky. Get all you can about the legal status first, especially the owner of the road. It is only the owner who can give you permission or stop you ... if any more permission than you already have is needed.

Council planning will not be interested in this aspect. "Civil Matter".

OTOH you could be fine, but pay it some attention to manage that risk.

Edited by Ferdinand