Concrete delivery, charge rate for overrun time onsite.

14 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

The local concrete supplier advised today that they charge £1 per minute after 20 minutes if there is a customer caused delay onsite.

I was prepared for a higher penalty rate, is a £1 per minute reasonable?

I think that sounds OK - unless you really are not prepared for the pour at all or VERY heavy rain causes major issues before a pour or you have an issue with moving the concrete (pump is late or not enough bodies with barrows) then I cannot see you ever being much more than 20-30mins over which for £30.00 (£36 with VAT) is not really too bad. 

Just make sure that you're ready a day or two before the crete is due, then check again just before the pour so that you can literally just have the guy start screwing it out when he arrives. If you have others doing the pour and finish then tell them they are responsible for any late charges which you will deduct from their agreed price if they cause it.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

Make sure you have your dump point and washout sorted. 

He will want to empty everything , and a mixer truck on full chat fills a barrow in less than the time it takes to say “oh fc*k where is the other wheelbarrow.....”

Also, make sure you know where you want him to wash out, and it’s not into the skip....

On 26/06/2019 at 17:05, Carrerahill said:

... then I cannot see you ever being much more than 20-30mins over which for £30.00 (£36 with VAT) is not really too bad. 

My arm was nearly back to normal following the Monday afternoon steroid injection which meant a full 3-man crew. The wagon reversed right up to the garage foundations and delivered the concrete mid way into the garage slab position and we managed to spread out the 5 m3 of concrete inside the allotted 20 minutes.

There was a worrying point half way through the pour when the driver said he doubted the load was large enough to get to the prescribed floor tamping level. I said I had rounded up the order from my calculated 5.1 m3 to 5.5 m3 to be on the safe side. He looked concerned, went off to the cab and returned with a bit of paper saying the load was 5.0 m3, so we shuttered off the  2.5m x 1.8m store floor extension to the main garage to avert a complete disaster and then bought the concrete level up to FFL in the main section. In the end 5.0 was enough for the whole floor including the store floor with two shovels of excess.

One hour after the pour started I carved a 1 in 10 gradient ramp at the door threshold. This initially looked terrible until I cut the tamping 4x2 batten down the width of the door (2.7m) and then tamped down the ramp surface in the semi set slab. Looking good today.

• Like 2

On 26/06/2019 at 19:00, PeterW said:

Make sure you have your dump point and washout sorted. 

In the end there were just two shovels of excess so nothing to dump, see my explanation above.

On 26/06/2019 at 19:00, PeterW said:

...  and a mixer truck on full chat fills a barrow in less than the time it takes to say “oh fc*k where is the other wheelbarrow.....”

Tell me about it, it also filled my face. Moral of the story is don't stand 2m downwind of the splat zone when the chute is disgorging at full rate.