Are countertop basins use or ornament?

Countertop wash basins in bathrooms - need some experiences.

I am thinking about using these in my main bathroom, and am trying to rack up the pros and cons.

The couple of people I have chatted to in the trade are reacting Tee Hee Hee Hoo Hoo Har Har Yar Boo Sucks and falling off stools laughing, whilst pointing out the ones they have taken out again. This could just be north Notts bluntness, or "lets wind him up because it is a day with D in it", or that they are a thing for hotels, Hyacinth Bucket types, Instagrammers, and Cityboys who never use them.

Does anyone have any longish term positive or negative experience of these? There does seem to be a lot of popularity for a thing which is useless.

The lack of overflow on nearly all of them does not quite compute for me, however I do quite like the most basic version from Bathstore which does have an overflow:

https://www.bathstore.com/products/beta-wash-bowl-75.html, and would currently come in at about £30-35 each.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Can anyone explain the "no overflow" thing? My own fitter is telling me that such a basin requires a free-flow waste ie no plug, to prevent overflow.

I can conceive an "invisible" overflow, but I am not aware of anyone making one.

Ferdinand

My experience with countertop wash basins is it is hard work to get the set-up correct.

I planned one with a nice quartz top.

Started off order this this one:-

https://www.betterbathrooms.com/p/oval-countertop-basin

But it turned out to have an extra underflow bit of the bottom so won't fit flat on the quartz top without cutting a big shape in the bottom.

So after a lot of hassle managed to swap it for this one:-

https://www.betterbathrooms.com/p/pacific-counter-top-basin

Was still a hassle as was fitting it into an Ikea cabinet and I had to search hard to find correct plumbing for it.

Then it got fitted but because the toilet waste had to run under the counter top cabinet, the cabinet had to have it's legs set to maximum and so the counter-top sits a little high for people to wash there face in.

Also selecting the right high tap is not that easy either.

I like what I ended up with, it looks great, turned out to be hard work to get there and expensive.

See 

Edited by DundeeDancer
  • Like 1

The Naymen Chorus of derision is convincing.

So the use for the matching taps would be:

a - A fixed mixer in a utility, high enough to get a bucket under.

b - In a flip not a rental for people who decide on appearance not practicality. :ph34r:

c - Possibly with a better type of ink in the bathroom if it works as a design and no splashes.

d - For a bidet for footwashes.

Cheers all.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

We always have a fear of moving away from the norm and trying something new, some call it trendy, fashionable. A friend of ours was forever decorating and having the latest trends in their house and had a glass sink put in when they came in. Many months later we went round and you could see all the sealant had gone black between the outlet and the glass and the only way to remove this was to strip it all out and redo it all. Anybody got the latest black metal taps?

• Like 1

Got one and love it. It’s set on a solid wood base, been there 8 years and no issue. 

Tap is a John Lewis tower mixer, works perfectly. 

Overflow is in the back of it, nice and simple. There is a 65mm hole through the 3” oak plinth, that was a bugger to cut..!! 

It bedded on white Unibond Sealant and hasn’t moved unless I’ve cut it off (to properly sand the plinth. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

We always have a fear of moving away from the norm and trying something new, some call it trendy, fashionable. A friend of ours was forever decorating and having the latest trends in their house and had a glass sink put in when they came in. Many months later we went round and you could see all the sealant had gone black between the outlet and the glass and the only way to remove this was to strip it all out and redo it all. Anybody got the latest black metal taps?

My favourite comment on glass sinks.

"Save these for bathrooms where people are unlikely to drop things."