Should I plane my own Cladding/decking ?

Tin Soldier

Bear in mind that larch is a high-silicate timber. Although it may not seem particularly hard, it will wear blades out pretty quickly. I have no idea what "quickly" means relative to the job you have planned, but it's something to keep an eye out for.

• 1 month later...

I'm nearly ready for starting this job,

Bit of an odd situation in that the timber I ordered doesnt match what I ordered

I ordered 900 lm of 30mm siberian larch

154 lengths at 3m 

90 lengths at 5m

What was delivered was

154 at (minimum) 3.2m

90 lengths at 6m

all approx 33-34mm  - so I've ended up with a lot more wood that I bargained for

Real heavy, thick wood - going to be great for the decking, but very chunky for Cladding :) which is either gonna look great/unique or ridiculous.

Planer to be built tonight, 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

This was a mistake

most of the larch averages 38-39mm thick

Thicknessing down to 30mm is a chore.

so far I've done 45 3 metre lengths, and all the window surrounds(window surrounds down to 22mm) and filled 22 bin bags with shavings.

OOoer. So you have done 135m out of 900m. Ouch and sympathy. So nearly 150 bags.

So will it be loadsamulch or hutch material for 647 pet rabbits until 2035?

My local merchant sells these bags of stuff from his filtration system, so much more dust and lower quality than pure shavings, for £2.00 each.

https://roncurrie.co.uk/large-bag-of-mixed-wood-shavings-and-dust?search=Shavings

Up until about a few years ago you just took your own bags and a shovel and a Landy and raided the filter shed.

How much are these worth in Aberdeenshire? Must be £250 to somebody?

Edited by Ferdinand

As kids we would go to our local timber yard and be allowed to climb down into the saw blade pit and fill up carrier bags with shavings for our pet rabbits and guinea pigs. Blade must have been 6 or 8' in diameter and razor sharp.

Sometimes they would even switch the saw off! ?

H&S would have a fit nowadays.

1 hour ago, Tin Soldier said:

Blades coping ok, 

I changed it round after 40 lengths (they are double sided)

I have two spares, so 4x more uses

My wifes sisters are taking the shavings for hens bedding or something

free to uplift :)

So the next job is to supply a big bottle of Bombay Sapphire to your MiL, on the understanding that she will then communicate to her other daughters that they and partners are getting a huge favour each, and are now expected to supply you with x no unreciprocated dinners or child minding sessions each. :ph34r:

Edited by Ferdinand

8 hours ago, Tin Soldier said:

This was a mistake

"a great learning opportunity" 

Fwiw I would run the whole lot through on your first set of blades. Get it down to 32-33mm then change the blades and do all the finishing passes. 

Also you say most of it is 38ish mm. Is there anything stopping you finishing it at 35...ish