VAT rise on PV systems coming

“HMRC has blamed EU tax laws for the planned rise because they rule out lower VAT rates for energy saving equipment under state aid rules.”

well Boris will sort that out (tin hat firmly on!!,)

“The 5% VAT rate will still be allowed for housing associations and buyers who are over the age of 60 or receive certain benefits.

The lower rate will also apply to the labour costs associated with installing the system while the 20% rate will be applied to the hardware only.”

so it will be cheaper fir those of us over 60 who won’t live as long to receive the benefit of PV?

BONKERS

31 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It would not surprise me if it was flat

That would still be an increase in installed systems though.

22 minutes ago, joe90 said:

are over the age of 60 or receive certain benefits

This does seems a bit peculiar, but then our tax system is.  It really does need a total rethink instead of this sticking plaster approach.

and of course there is always the article that says "The government also hopes to encourage homes with solar panels to install batteries." in the very same publication, two weeks prior ?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/09/energy-firms-buy-electricity-from-household-rooftop-solar-panels

But I do note from the 24 June article if I install after 1 Jan 2020 (highly likely!) then I get to benefit from being paid for feeding into the grid. Again. Just bl00dy perverse - what happens for those who install between April 1 and Dec 31 this year? No wonder there has been a massive fall in installations.

Edited by BotusBuild

You can get paid for export now, at about 5.5p per KWh exported.  BUT you have to have a smart meter fitted, and your system must have been installed by an MCS installer to qualify.  Given how little I export, the extra cost if I had paid for an MCS installer would never be repaid from the small export tariff.

29 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You can get paid for export now, at about 5.5p per KWh exported.  BUT you have to have a smart meter fitted, and your system must have been installed by an MCS installer to qualify.  Given how little I export, the extra cost if I had paid for an MCS installer would never be repaid from the small export tariff.

So that comes on top of the FiT.

Hmmm.

Interesting alternative to a divert device.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

So that comes on top of the FiT.

Hmmm.

Interesting alternative to a divert device.

No, if you have a system under the FIT, leave well alone.

This is the new scheme for post FIT systems, to stop the complaints that people are giving away electricity for free.

You can claim the new export payment if you are under the FIT but you would then loose the 50% deemed export payment from the FIT payment and instead get paid for actual export.

The payment rate is only about 5.5p so for me at that price, it is better going into the immersion heater.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No, if you have a system under the FIT, leave well alone.

This is the new scheme for post FIT systems, to stop the complaints that people are giving away electricity for free.

You can claim the new export payment if you are under the FIT but you would then loose the 50% deemed export payment from the FIT payment and instead get paid for actual export.

The payment rate is only about 5.5p so for me at that price, it is better going into the immersion heater.

Was working with that.

So it turns on whether or not you export more than 50%. At present I have no divert device or convenient sink load if I did.

F

57 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You can get paid for export now, at about 5.5p per KWh exported.  BUT you have to have a smart meter fitted, 

Bugger

58 minutes ago, ProDave said:

and your system must have been installed by an MCS installer to qualify. 

Double bugger

• Like 1

Are these still selling in large numbers?

Now the retrofit cowboys have finished renting people’s roofs, surely new builds are the biggest market for these?

MCS is just a scam.  The whole process puts me off even considering them. 

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

your system must have been installed by an MCS installer to qualify.  Given how little I export, the extra cost if I had paid for an MCS installer would never be repaid from the small export tariff.

I know a bloke in the pub, mind you is it even worth the effort!

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Nor mine.  That was a bit of a surprise when it came in last year (or was it the year before)

Yeh and my mate who is a traffic officer said they are now on the lookout for older vehicles ...!! No tax or MoT required, and a few are forgetting insurance ... 

Number of unsafe vehicles they pull is rising too - oddly newer ones and usually tyres these days. 

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Yeh and my mate who is a traffic officer said they are now on the lookout for older vehicles ...!! No tax or MoT required, and a few are forgetting insurance ... 

Number of unsafe vehicles they pull is rising too - oddly newer ones and usually tyres these days. 

I really didn’t think traffic officers had mates.