Cost of air tight test

recoveringbuilder

5 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

We haven’t yet had this done and have been told we need to do it before the EPC , actually thought the architect had someone who he used but unfortunately not so I need to phone around tomorrow, can anyone tell me how much I should be paying for this?

@Christine Walker we used this guy - https://www.albaatt.co.uk/

Comes from Perth - happy to travel and charged us £250 - excellent service and would fully recommend - 

@eandg Yes I believe it is a requirement and therefore something for you to budget for - £250 should see it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Redoctober said:

@Christine Walker we used this guy - https://www.albaatt.co.uk/

Comes from Perth - happy to travel and charged us £250 - excellent service and would fully recommend - 

@eandg Yes I believe it is a requirement and therefore something for you to budget for - £250 should see it.

Thanks, I hadn't realised at all. £250 for old rope. That's another bit of the contingency chipped away!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, eandg said:

Thanks, I hadn't realised at all. £250 for old rope.

Not sure about that, my chap was here fir half a day with a load of tech equipment, taking readings at different intervals after I run around with joss sticks (to find any droughts) and a tube of silicone!,! Then a comprehensive data sheet created from his office in a few days. 

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Not sure about that, my chap was here fir half a day with a load of tech equipment, taking readings at different intervals after I run around with joss sticks (to find any droughts) and a tube of silicone!,! Then a comprehensive data sheet created from his office in a few days. 

Fair enough - perhaps money for something which doesn't add any value to the living experience or performance it the house then. 

2 minutes ago, eandg said:

Fair enough - perhaps money for something which doesn't add any value to the living experience or performance it the house then. 

I would agree,  but a requirement for a new build, like the EPC, SAP etc etc.

On 25/06/2019 at 09:48, eandg said:

I would suggest that your air test is money well spent if it shows the quality or not of the build to that point. If you do it early enough in the build it then gives you a chance to try and rectify any problems with airtightness.

On 25/06/2019 at 09:48, eandg said:

If it is a requirement, that would be a little moot perhaps?

Also, I am told that for a trad house a decent chunk of energy loss is via air leaks. So for a very well insulated house that should be a more significant factor. There may even be a decent payback in lower bills.

Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Alex C said:

I would suggest that your air test is money well spent if it shows the quality or not of the build to that point. If you do it early enough in the build it then gives you a chance to try and rectify any problems with airtightness.

Yes, if you can rectify it - I had perhaps mistakenly presumed it was done prior to epc, completion certificate etc and after all the wall build-up has been done. If you can do it before plasterboard goes on then it may well be a spend to save.