Which render for a timber frame?

Russdl

We are experiencing lots of teeth sucking regarding render and timber frames, which is a bit of a worry as we planned on the ground floor of our timber frame new build being rendered. We've had comments from numerous individuals which sum up to something like  "you shouldn't render on a timber frame, far too much movement'" etc. 

Looking through BH it looks like there are plenty of MBC frames out there with render, is it lasting well?  Is there a preferred system that will look crisp and smart for decades and can you invisibly repair it should the need arise?

Is there a system to avoid at all costs?

1 hour ago, Russdl said:

We are experiencing lots of teeth sucking regarding render and timber frames, which is a bit of a worry as we planned on the ground floor of our timber frame new build being rendered. We've had comments from numerous individuals which sum up to something like  "you shouldn't render on a timber frame, far too much movement'" etc. 

Looking through BH it looks like there are plenty of MBC frames out there with render, is it lasting well?  Is there a preferred system that will look crisp and smart for decades and can you invisibly repair it should the need arise?

Is there a system to avoid at all costs?

You can use most through coloured renders on TF

K tend Piro etc 

It is difficult to repair But with skill it can be done 

To make it work, either have a concrete blockwork background or use render carrier board such as Bluclad, plus a mesh and render system.  I have done both and NO cracking at all.

I am no fan of through coloured renders as they often seem to discolour.

Just now, Russdl said:

Thanks @Mr Punter It will have to be on render carrier board.

Does that mean 'use a cement render and paint it'?

On blockwork, yes.  On carrier boards we used Weber LAC and mesh.  About 4mm total, sponge finish and painted.  Very sticky but finishes OK.  Don't get it on your car seats!

8 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Weber LAC and mesh

Never heard of it! Everyday is still a school day.

9 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Very sticky but finishes OK.  Don't get it on your car seats!

Sounds horrible...

We have a silicone render on boards and mesh. Its through coloured and has a guarantee of umpteen years...20 I think. Alumasc vented facade system specifically designed for Timber Frames. I believe its now part of K rend group.

21 minutes ago, Russdl said:

@lizzie Thanks Lizzie, I guess it's looking tip-top. How long has it been on?

Its been on about 18 months now and is perfect as you say.  Its streets ahead of the ordinary k-rend type stuff I have on the block garden walls.

@Moira Niedzwiecka has the same alumasc vented facade system, different colour render to me and hers looks lovely too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Russdl said:

@nod Thanks, and the "too much movement - it WILL crack" comments, are they unfounded?

Your fine with a render board Base coat and mesh It’s worth adding viticulture expansion joints As most structures move Especially TF I normally add a stop bead to intern comers 

Ive render many thousands of metres on TF and concrete Rarely have any issues with cracking  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Russdl said:

What on earth are they? Isn't that something to do with wine making? (Google says its a game of some description)

? My phone has a mind of its own

Vertical  

• Haha 1