Descaling unvented cylinder?

We've got a Range Tribune 150L indirect unvented cylinder, installed when the house was built in 2007. I have seen at least one other (possibly two?) houses on the estate with their cylinder being pulled out by a plumber and whilst I didn't think to ask why I have assumed it could well be down to problems with scale given the very hard water we have here (22.7 on the Clark scale). Whilst we don't currently have any issues (as far as I am aware) I was wondering if there is any means by which I could descale the cylinder as a preventative measure?

I am thinking something along the lines of disconnecting the hot water outlet on the top, pouring descaler in and then flushing out once it's done its stuff? A few issues immediately spring to mind: 1) health risks from mixing chemicals with what should be potable water (even if we don't drink it), 2) creating a problem when none previously existed (e.g. causing a leak by messing with the pipework, damaging the cylinder if thread connections are tough to undo), and of course 3) I have no G3 ticket and so shouldn't really be messing around with it!

Any thoughts?

Edited by MJNewton

There is a house near me, on a borehole with very hard water.  About every 3 years I have to replace the failed immersion heater. and in the process I spoon out through the immersion heater hole about half a bucket load of scale.

I did wonder whether there'd be any access via the immersion heater i.e. whether it is in direct contact with the water or sits inside something sealed to the tank. I suppose I could scoop out what I could from there, and then chemically treat the remainder if that idea isn't a daft one to start with?

It should descale a little on the heat exchanger with heat / cool cycles, hence the pile of crud in the bottom that @ProDave has to scoop out. Just whip the immersion out, use a wet and dry vac with a soft end and suck the crud out. You don't need G3 unless your fiddling with safety valves etc.

Needless to say, don't re-fit the same immersion ;) Buy a new one.

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

Howcome? (Note we never use it; relying solely on the (gas) boiler to heat the cylinder).

T'will be shitted up with the scale, and the seal will likely give up. Change the seal at the very least, but they're not expensive tbh. If you've no PV and don't use it then fit the existing one back in. New seal though, as a leak would be 'not nice'. ;) 

• Thanks 1