Thermostatic shower bar mixer valves, questions, woes, and a bit of a rant.

ProDave

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

@TheMitchells the Mira is a very expensive but is a very robust valve, with remarkably good flow with poor pressure. What head do you have ? ( what is the distance between the shower head outlet as fitted, and the bottom of the cold water tank in the attic )?

its only about 40cm between the two so not a lot.   this one looks suitable.  I shall look for the Mira one too.

https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/aqualisa-quartz-digital-shower-concealed-qzd-a2-bv-14-2672-28388

For what its worth, I have a digital shower in my current place (I think its an Aqualisa model; it has the characteristic start/stop & boost buttons). It came with the house. And I don't like it. And in my new home I shall be choosing a non-digital shower.

Reason being that, in the event of pausing the shower mid-way for any reason (for example for hair washing) then, on restarting the water flow, the shower hunts through the temperature range again providing an extended dose of cold water onto your head; rather unpleasant!

The motor is also unpleasantly noisy: a high pitched whirr as the valve moves at the start, in the middle, and at the end of each shower.

Just my tuppence worth!

We are hoping the noise should be okay as the pump goes in the attic.  Wasnt aware of the problem with cold water if stopped briefly.  I am hoping that doesnt happen.  Maybe its an older model - they certainly should not give cold shower! no matter how brief!