Warrant amendments

kingie573

Good Afternoon,

I'm looking for some info. My architect is on holiday and our building warrant is in for approval. I've just realised the garage door that the architect has stated and drawn for isnt going to be wide enough to get our car in. Are we too late to change it? will we need to get drawings redone?

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/06/2019 at 12:19, kingie573 said:

the garage door that the architect has stated and drawn for isnt going to be wide enough to get our car in.

?‍♂️?‍♀️?

Sorry. Not much help, but just read this and thought about my experience with architects. Seems pretty common.

As for changes, just do them, but others might be better advisors here.

On 22/06/2019 at 12:19, kingie573 said:

Good Afternoon,

I'm looking for some info. My architect is on holiday and our building warrant is in for approval. I've just realised the garage door that the architect has stated and drawn for isnt going to be wide enough to get our car in. Are we too late to change it? will we need to get drawings redone?

As you mention warrant I assume you are in Scotland? Best thing is to ring building control tomorrow and ask. My LA (Borders) allowed me to make relatively minor amendments to my plans (such as the one you describe) by writing on them with a red pen showing the amendments. I did have to pay for a warrant amendment however but I stored a few things up until I asked for the formal amendment to be done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newhome said:

As you mention warrant I assume you are in Scotland? Best thing is to ring building control tomorrow and ask. My LA (Borders) allowed me to make relatively minor amendments to my plans (such as the one you describe) by writing on them with a red pen showing the amendments. I did have to pay for a warrant amendment however but I stored a few things up until I asked for the formal amendment to be done. 

+2.

Talk to the Carncil now.

Or I guess that if it is marginal, you may be able to accidentally get it a bit too wide.

In any case, just check that the error margins on your structural door width calcs will leave you still in the sweet spot.

Edited by Ferdinand

42 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Or I guess that if it is marginal, you may be able to accidentally get it a bit too wide.

That's true. If it's only the door size and not the structure that needs to be altered I doubt they'll even check. Absolutely nothing was measured here to see if it was in accordance with the plans. They'd likely only check if it was something that was at odds with Part M or similar. 

If the door is too narrow what about the garage itself? Our architect also designed our single garage and after getting PP we worked out we could get the car in easily but wouldn't be able to get out of the car at all easily as the car door wouldn't open far enough. It was only a Ford Focus!

8 hours ago, Temp said:

If the door is too narrow what about the garage itself? Our architect also designed our single garage and after getting PP we worked out we could get the car in easily but wouldn't be able to get out of the car at all easily as the car door wouldn't open far enough. It was only a Ford Focus!

Not unusual. From memory the door sizes and garage sizes haven’t changed in decades, and most developers don’t expect you to put a car in the garage - it’s for bikes, junk etc ..! 

I think the standard size is based around a Ford Prefect or something similar ..??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

That’s why I have a 30ft wide garage and 16ft door so I can get more junk in it!!!!! (Can’t wait to finish the build and tidy it up so I can find stuff.).

I sorted the inside of the garage as soon as it had a door on because I was fed up not being able to find stuff.

garage_inside.thumb.jpg.ff53e5722f8e3d2318ffa56a401216b0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, stephen margerison said:

Joe 90,

love the MG tf !!!!    had lots of MGs but never a TF     good on ya 

Stephen

Looks like a kit car to me with that number plate, possibly a Gentry.